Graduate Research Engineer - £30,000 - £38,000 - Sheffield
Are you a newly or nearly qualified Engineer? Do you have basic programming experience? If so, we have the perfect opportunity for you.
This is an exciting opportunity to work within the R&D team of an artificial intelligence (AI) start-up. You will be become part of an agile multidisciplinary team to help develop and deploy novel ground and air based robotic systems.
The key responsibilities of a Graduate Research Engineer include, but are not limited to:
- Contribute to research to broaden our IP base.
- Work on rapid prototyping of new research to develop initial proofs of concept.
- Rapidly advance prototypes through to initial commercial evaluation.
- Use version control and documentation to manage project lifecycles.
- Interface with pre-sales teams to support and respond to customer requests.
Opteran moves beyond today's Deep Learning AI to re-engineer 600 million years of evolution in insect brains onto a silicon chip. This breakthrough enables machines to see, sense, navigate and make autonomous decisions with a smaller, lighter and more efficient solution that operates off-network without training.
This is a different approach to autonomy, which doesn't succumb to the problems of machine learning. We reverse engineer real brains to produce autonomous systems that are robust and hyper-efficient; we call this approach 'natural intelligence'.
The key skills and qualities of a Graduate Research Engineer include:
- Expecting or recently completed a University Degree in Electronic Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent.
- Basic programming experience and a desire to advance this skill in one or more common languages such as python / C++.
- A good rapid prototyping mindset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and an ability to function effectively in a team.
- Experience with robotic or autonomous systems e.g., using ROS, working with drones
- Basic programming experience with C
If you are keen on joining this exciting, forward thinking company and taking the next step in your career, then please click the apply now button to find out more.