Garden Center Manager Trainee
“Gardening without Guesswork”
Armstrong Garden Centers, serving 125+ years, is a leader in the Garden Center Industry and is on the search for exceptional management candidates to join our Manager Training Program. Are you driven? Passionate? Willing to Serve? Our comprehensive program includes management and operational training including a horticultural educational program which provides you the seeds of knowledge to be successful with us.
This position combines both on the job and classroom training in preparation for an Assistant Store Manager position. Our Manager Trainee candidates work alongside an existing seasoned management team and serve as an integral success to the overall performance of the store and company. Manager Trainees participate in sales, customer service and management tasks.
Position Description- How it works?
Manager Trainees will participate in a 11-week manager training course including classroom and on-the job training in areas such as:
· Store operations
· Human Resources
· Visual Merchandising
· Employment Status: Full-time
Primary Duties and Responsibilities- What to look forward to!
· Be an expert and brand ambassador for Armstrong Garden Centers.
· Able to connect with customers and provide expert knowledge of our products
· Mentor, coach and lead a team of 10-20 members
· Monitor inventory control, including ordering and buying materials.
· Responsible for taking ownership of Garden Center including, maintenance, watering, visual merchandising, marketing displays, and maintaining stock levels of product.
· Manage operations: POS, scheduling, budgets, KPIs,
· Follow safe work practices and reporting any unsafe working conditions to management and HR.
Requirements- Do you have what it takes?
· Previous retail management or supervisory experience
· Exceptional customer service skills
· Excellent salesmanship
Compensation - We have great benefits!
- Medical, dental, life insurance after 30 days
- Paid holidays and paid vacation after 90 days
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Hourly rate will commensurate with experience
Work Schedule- What to expect!
· Garden Center hours (variable with season) five-days per week, weekends required
Physical Environment/Working Conditions- Safety First!
Requires extensive use of back, legs, knees, arms, feet and hands for lifting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching overhead, and walking. Unassisted lifting limits between 30 and 50 lbs. Individuals may be required to do any or all of these situations throughout the work day, with an emphasis on walking and standing for a major portion of the day. The outside environment will comprise most of the day with some inside building activity.
Grooming Standards- Our Brand Promise!
Neat and clean grooming standards apply to Armstrong Garden Centers employees.
At Armstrong Garden Centers, our primary focus is to provide proactive customer service, so we can take the guesswork out of gardening for our customers. As an employee-owned company, we take pride in working for the largest independent garden center in the US and your hard work contributes to increasing the value of our stock and builds your future at Armstrong; learn more in our Employee-Ownership section. If you love helping people we want you on our team; we can help you develop your green thumb.
Armstrong Garden Centers has 31 locations in California with 29 Southern California stores and two stores in the San Francisco Bay Area. Visit our History page to learn how it all began in 1889. Join a team with opportunities for career growth and development not only within Armstrong Garden Centers but also at our sister company, Pike Nurseries in Georgia.
Role: Garden Center Management Trainee
Apply for this job now.