Company: North Midland Construction Plc
North Midland Construction is a national building, civil engineering and mechanical, electrical contractor with 70 years’ experience. With our Head Office based in Huthwaite, Nottinghamshire we operate through a number of strategically placed regional offices covering the whole of the British Isles; offering clients a one stop shop for their construction requirements.
An opportunity has arisen for a Site Engineer within the Highways division. Reporting to Site Manager, the Site Engineer is responsible for setting out line and level control for a site including adherence to the Q&A procedure set in place. They will also be responsible for decimation of information to all trades over multiple disciplines.
They must be able to competently understand all civil engineering drawings and be able to spot potential areas either for error or for potential gain, programme and cost. They must be conversant in basic setting out and surveying techniques.
The Site Engineer will also work with the clients to ensure that the key deliverables at the relevant stage of the project are administered to the highest quality.
The main duties include the responsibility for the following:
- To ensure Health & Safety are of paramount importance
- To regularly review project status ensuring all options have been considered and evaluated to improve construction performance.
- Ensure commercial challenge at all times
- Setting out (marking the position of structures) and levelling the site
- Surveying the site and locating buried services
- Checking drawings & quantities & ensuring that the calculations are accurate for the work
- Helping with the selection and purchase of materials for use in the construction and their value
- Planning the work and efficiently organising site facilities in order to meet an agreed programme of deadlines
- Liaising with any consultants and / or sub-contractors engaged in the project
- Attending regular meetings with clients and consultants, and keeping them informed of progress
- Supervising and monitoring the site labour force and monitoring the work of any subcontractors
- Issuing any relevant permits and ensuring they are implemented correctly
- Overseeing quality control and safety matters on the site, and ensuring that regulations are up to date
- Resolving any unexpected technical difficulties, and other problems that may occur
- Promote Near Miss and Positive Intervention reporting
- Engage with Supply Chain
- Quality Assurance
- Development of strong team working relationships
- Helping to ensure all project KPI`s and KPM`s are achieved
- Upload documentation as and when necessary in line with business requirements to C:folders
- Ensuring compliance to Highways & Utilities procedures through weekly returns where required
- Cost risk management and early identification of problematic issues on site
- Bring innovative ideas
- Ensure weekly compliance with T2C information
Skills and Qualifications
- An industry applicable qualification
- Heavy civil engineering experience is essential
- Working knowledge of mechanical and electrical engineering principles
- Working knowledge of Microsoft packages
- Self motivation
- Be able to organise yourself and others workload
- Be able to work in a strong team environment
- Be proactive in your approach
- An excellent communicator
- Experience in working with utilities