Shop Laborer: Fabricates and assembles metal products as specified by work orders, diagrams and templates, using hand tools, power tools, and metalworking machinery. Lays out positions, aligns, and fits together fabricated parts of structural metal products in shop, according to blueprint and layout specifications, preparatory to welding and bolting.
Employee will NOT be more than six feet from the ground level. Employee will be provided gloves, safety glasses with side-shields and any other personal protective equipment required.
Essential Functions of the job are as follows:
- reads and interprets blueprints, sketches, or specifications to determine sequence and methods of fabrication and assembling structural steel members and to obtain parts specifications. Plan and develops layout as outlined on blueprints and templates. Plans sequence of operations. Sets up jigs and fixtures
- Lays out and marks dimensions and reference lines on material, using scribes, dividers, squares, and rulers, applying knowledge of shop mathematics and layout techniques to develop and trace patterns of parts templates
- Details location and sequence of cutting, drilling, bending, rolling, punching and welding operations. Marks curves, lines, holes, dimensions, and welding symbols into workpiece
- Rigs and moves parts into position, manually or by hoist or overhead crane. Aligns parts using jack, turnbuckles, wedges, drift pins, pry bars and hammer. Fits and aligns fabricated parts for welding or assembly operations.
- Sets up and operates fabricating machines, such as sheers, cutoff saws, brakes, punch press, form roll and drill press, to cut and shape components to specified dimensions
- Fit and assembles components, using fixtures, hand tools, and portable power tools, such as grinders, drills, wrenches.
- Operates machines, such as arbor presses and gas welding machines, to complete assembly. May tack-weld components together.
- Removes high spots and cuts bevels, using hand files, portable grinders and cutting torch
- Straightens warped or bent parts, using sledge, hand torch or straightening press
- Positions or tightens braces, jacks, clamps, ropes or bolt straps, or bolt parts in position for welding.
Role: Shop Laborer
Apply for this job now.