This job works collaboratively under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse to maintain patient safety and provide for the delivery of basic patient care. May provide constant observation of the patient and notifies nursing personnel of changes in behavior or status and when leaving the room, and intervenes as needed to maintain patient safety. Communicates effectively with co-workers, patients, family and visitors. They perform all functions delegated by the nurse staff and adhere to the policies and procedures.
Required - High School diploma or equivalent
Required - None.
Preferred- Hospital and telemetry experience.
Required - Current Louisiana Certification as a Nurses’ Assistant (CNA)
Basic Life Support (BLS) from the American Heart Association to be obtained within 60 days from hire.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry and retrieval of patient information. Must be proficient with Windows-style applications and keyboard.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present information clearly and professionally to varying levels of individuals throughout the patient care process.
- Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry and retrieval of information
- Must be proficient with Windows-style applications, various software packages specific to role and keyboard
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Assists with plan of care as delegated by staff nurse within scope of practice.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment in the patient care area.
- Provides care based on physical, psycho/social, educational, safety and related criteria, appropriate to the ages of patients served in assigned areas.
- Communicates patient care needs effectively with patients, families, and other staff members, including multi-disciplinary teams.
- Completes documentation of patient related tasks.
- Maintains professional certifications and technical knowledge.
- Adapts behavior to the specific patient population, including but not limited to: respect for privacy, method of introduction to the patient, adapting explanation of services or procedures to be performed, requesting permissions and communication style.
- Other related duties as required.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
Remains knowledgeable on current federal, state and local laws, accreditation standards or regulatory agency requirements that apply to the assigned area of responsibility and ensures compliance with all such laws, regulations and standards.
This employer maintains and complies with its Compliance & Privacy Program and Standards of Conduct, including the immediate reporting of any known or suspected unethical or questionable behaviors or conduct; patient/employee safety, patient privacy, and/or other compliance-related concerns.
The employer is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Physical and Environmental Demands
The physical essential functions of this job include (but are not limited to) the following: Frequently exerting 10 to 20 pounds of force to move objects; occasionally exerting up to 100 pounds of force. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for sedentary work. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Because the incumbent works within a healthcare setting, there may be occupational risk for exposure to hazardous medications or hazardous waste within the environment through receipt, transport, storage, preparation, dispensing, administration, cleaning and/or disposal of contaminated waste. The risk level of exposure may increase depending on the essential job duties of the role.