KATERRA is transforming construction through innovation of process and technology.
We provide end-to-end building services, creating new efficiencies between design, engineering, construction, project management, and more. Our integrated teams apply the principles of technology and manufacturing to the building industry, bringing fresh minds and innovative approaches to remove unnecessary time and costs from construction projects.
At KATERRA, we lead from every seat. Our ideal team members are self-starters that embrace ambiguity, think big, and bring their own uncompromising standards of excellence.
One of KATERRA's cultural principles is Diversity. We believe different backgrounds, ideas, and skillsets result in better outcomes. KATERRA does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. KATERRA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA, people with disabilities, veterans and those with diverse life experiences.
Renovations Director of Estimating and Pre-Construction
The ideal candidate will have the ability to work in a team or independently and have outstanding interpersonal skills, adjusting to changing priorities from various directives, and communicate effectively. You should be organized, accurate, and detail orientated. This position is in our estimating division. Coordinates with Sales and Production to assist in establishing a project scope and standard of construction projects. Prepares estimates for equipment, manpower cost of project and material required to accomplish each project.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Reviews and evaluates requests for estimates.
- Prepares weekly bid calendar and ensures timely completion of estimates.
- Reviews estimates and revisions for completeness and accuracy.
- Where predetermined standard(s) are not available, create and implement
- Develops and maintains cost data, including labor and equipment rates, installation methods and production rates.
- Maintain estimating procedures and guidelines. When not created, work with other division managers to establish and roll out.
- Prepares reports as needed.
- Sets departmental budget and goals for the year.
- Makes sure that the department functions efficiently and effectively
- Develops and maintains resource information on products, vendors, subcontractors, government requirements, etc.
- Provide value alternative solutions taking into consideration cost, schedule, maintenance and life cycle cost implications.
- Fill in design gaps for incomplete documents for the completion of estimates.
- Assist in the prequalification process
- Lead internal Construction estimate review and bid process team meetings.
- Represent Estimating at all design and coordination meetings, occasionally leading meetings
- Oversee preparation of preconstruction schedule and ensure the maintenance of schedule and that all project staff are informed of schedule changes
- Act as team liaison between operations, estimating and design management
- Assist in the development/training of preconstruction staff
- Build/maintain relationships with subcontractors
- Walk, photograph and scope all types of construction projects
- Inspect buildings and/or jobsites to determine work needed per project
- Determine baseline for labor and material requirements
- Interpret and review plans and contract requirements in preparation for bidding process
- Study job specifications to determine appropriate construction methods and local code compliance
- Evaluate construction methods and determine cost-effectiveness of plans
- Coordinate with the Purchasing department on material costs
- Make sketches or read blueprints to detail work to be accomplished
- Prepare and submit budget estimates to Sales for review prior to submitting bids
Required Skills & Experience
- 10+ years' experience with estimating, design management and/or field management
- In-depth knowledge of construction principles/practices required
- Experience dealing with subcontracts, subcontractors and/or self-perform work
- Self-starter, highly motivated with the ability to build trust and influence others
- Demonstrate behaviors consistent with core values while maintaining a "value added" approach to preconstruction
- Strong communication and presentation skills with the ability to communicate to varied audiences
- Solid computer skills with a working knowledge of AutoCAD, Construction Management Software as well as MS Office, including Outlook, Project, Excel, and Word.
- Working knowledge of such computer programs as Timberline / Bluebeam / On-Screen Takeoff / Building Connected/ Salesforce / Excel / MS Project
Physical & Mental Abilities Required
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit, climb stairs, use hands and arms, talk or hear, drive a car, and use basic office electronics (computer, telephone).
- Critical thinking, judgment, decision-making, follow-up, social awareness, mathematics, reading writing, organizational, timeliness, stress tolerance, communication (oral and written).
Work Environment & Travel
- Up to 50% of the job involves walking construction sites to inspect work progress, quality and safety compliance.
- Up to 50% of time spent on computer, reports, etc.
- Travel requirements vary according to client and project locations
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that KATERRA does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, KATERRA will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, KATERRA explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of KATERRA.