The position of Kitchen Manager requires working with the chef and manager to learn the skills and build competencies necessary to lead the café team. It is imperative to understand that while technical skills are necessary in any position, positive behaviors and respecting ourselves and our teams within our company come first. Without creating a supportive cultural experience through trust and teaching from within, our company does not shine through to our ultimate goal. That goal is to simply make ‘everyone’s life a little better’ by creating exceptional experiences and serving food we love. We embrace this goal because when we make people feel good, we feel good. To that end, we take advantage of every opportunity to make someone feel good. A formal training outline will be set forth to target & mentor position specific skills and traits of a customer service position within Food for Thought.
The Kitchen Manager position requires the candidate to be an example of mastery of all duties, competencies, and job requirements in position descriptions for Cook III. The Kitchen Manager will also display the eagerness to attain perspective of the café business as a whole. The position of Kitchen Manager will be exposed to client communications and will learn how to build client relationship and will be responsible for holding all café staff accountable to established standards.
In addition to proficiency in back of house operations, the Kitchen Manager must have a working knowledge of information and duties applicable to the cafe. This includes, but is not limited to: performing all front of house duties, performing financial reporting duties, analyzing financial information, and understanding current account and contract stipulations.
The Kitchen Manager will report directly to the chef and/or manager.
· Participates in all kitchen and service duties as necessary
· Performs hands-on supervision at all levels of café operation
· Earns and holds respect from all café staff
· Holds all café staff accountable for established standards
· Participates in budget preparations
· Conducts inventory duties as directed
· Completes schedule for hourly employees
· Tracks necessary financial data and reports to corporate liaisons
· Takes initiative to build a foundational relationship with client
· Collaborates with Chef to create unit specific strategic plans for the kitchen
· Learns all duties of Chef in order to act as interim
· Is flexible to work all shifts including special events
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to:
· Performs general cleaning tasks using approved cleaning product as assigned by your supervisor to adhere to health standards.
· Keeps floors dry and clean to avoid slip/fall accidents.
· Examines products for quality
· Takes on special projects
· Ensures all tools and equipment are in good working order
· Performs other duties as requested, such as, cross-training, moving supplies and equipment, cleaning up spills, etc.
· Reports suspicious persons or activities to a supervisor immediately.
· Other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
· Good working knowledge of accepted standards of sanitation.
· Knowledge of business computing systems and ability to learn new systems
· Mathematical skills necessary to understand principles of business finance, cost of goods percentages, accounting principles, tracking cash, etc.
· Proficiency in professional business communications
· Ability to build relationships
· Sufficient manual dexterity of hand in order to use kitchen tools, computing hardware, cleaning tools, etc.
· Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry, or otherwise, move or push goods on a hand cart/truck weighing a maximum of 150 lbs.
· Ability to stand and work continuously in confined spaces.
· Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges.
· High School Diploma or equivalent required, post-secondary Degree preferred.
· One year experience in a kitchen supervisory position required, managerial experience preferred
· State of Illinois and Chicago Food Service Sanitation Certificate required
Equal Opportunity Employer
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at Food For Thought are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state, or local statuses.
Food For Thought is widely recognized among the areas elite off premise catering and food service management companies. For more than 30 years, our commitment to excellent service, innovative cuisine and contemporary presentation has won the admiration of both our clients and peers. Our recipe for success is simple; we consistently provide delicious food and gracious hospitality.
Role: Kitchen Manager
Apply for this job now.