Reporting to the Director of Network Engineering, the Senior Network Engineer designs and implements innovative network solutions to advance CENIC's organizational goals and objectives. CENIC operates the CalREN DC & HPR layer 2/3 networks, including the DWDM optical systems riding our statewide fiber infrastructure. The Senior Network Engineer actively works on multiple complex technical deployment projects simultaneously. This position also functions as a point of technical expertise to internal staff and external associates, and serves as an official representative of CENIC in technical forums, panel discussions, and conference presentations.
Key Success Factors
- Deep understanding of wide-area networking
- Hands-on experience with carrier-class routing, switching, and optical transport platforms
- Excellent technical leadership skills
- Play an active role as a leader, expert resource, and individual contributor
- Collaborate with internal staff and CENIC's technical advisory councils to evaluate and recommend new network design, hardware, and technology as part of a continuous refresh cycle
- Plan and implement capacity upgrades for CENIC supported network infrastructure
- Research, test, and implement new advanced network services in support of CENIC associates
- Develop and maintain technical documentation and procedures; establish and recommend policies and standards on network configuration and services
- Participate in on-call rotation for escalation support of technical issues, supporting the 24x7 production network environment
- Represent CENIC in regional, national, and international technical forums as needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a focus on teamwork and collaboration
- Thorough understanding of routing protocols, with a preference for BGP and ISIS experience
- Proven experience and demonstrable success with designing, maintaining and implementing complex multi-service networks
- Experience with programming and building Network Automation tools using Python, SNMP, and NETCONF preferred
Why work at CENIC?
- Company Culture: Small teams and a collaborative environment provide the opportunity to make a large impact in a small organization.
- Community Engagement: We work with research and education institutions in the largest state economy in the United States. The work you do has meaning.
- Health Benefits: We have generous medical benefits as well as dental, vision, and life insurance.
- Paid Time Off: We offer liberal vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
- Investment in Your Future: CENIC contributes to your 403(b) even if you don't. We also offer matching contributions on top of that.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
CENIC has two California offices, the home office in La Mirada and a smaller office in Berkeley. The Senior Network Engineer will work out of the La Mirada office. Please note due to COVID-19 this position is remote for the time being and not expected to be back in the office until conditions in the state of California improve.
Equal Opportunity Employer
CENIC is proud of the diversity of our staff and of those we serve and will not deny employment on the basis of race, national origin, ethnic identification, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, or disability; neither will CENIC discriminate against any employees on the basis of the above.