Since it began operating in 1997, the See Forever Foundation's mission has been to create learning communities in lower income urban areas where all students, particularly those who have not succeeded in traditional schools, can succeed academically and socially. The Foundation operates the Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools in DC, as well as the Maya Angelou Academy at New Beginnings' secure facility for committed youth in Laurel, MD. Our students develop the academic, social, and employment skills they need to build rewarding lives and promote positive change.
Our mission at the Academy is to provide a safe, nurturing and mutually respectful environment that motivates and prepares each student to fulfill his academic or career potential. With the support of a wide circle of caring adults, students will develop the skills they need to make sound decisions and lead rewarding lives. Our academic program offers a traditional high school curriculum as well as the GED. We offer a full inclusion model with small classroom sizes and trauma informed practices. We strive to make classroom settings inviting, supportive, and developmentally appropriate for all scholars.
If you are interested in learning more about See Forever, please visit our website at #removed#
At the Maya Angelou Schools, the key to our success is rooted in building trusting, respectful and nurturing relationships with each other. We strive to create safe spaces for all to be able to reach their limitless potential. We are at our best when we work together to ensure the unique needs of our community are met. We empower each other to grow successfully so we can see forever! This is how we live the Maya Way, even when no one is watching.
Core Beliefs and Desired Characteristics
Candidates should possess an unyielding belief that with the appropriate supports, coupled with high expectations, all students can significantly improve their academic skills, and can develop pro-social and culturally normative behaviors that will enable them to succeed at school and beyond. Candidates should also believe that all students have strengths and talents and that good teachers help students find them and use them to address weaknesses or overcome fears. In addition, candidates should exhibit the following characteristics:
- Honesty & Integrity: Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidence. Does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
- Analytical skills: able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it; exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights
- Persistence: Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Strategic thinking/visioning: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way; determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends
- Flexibility/adaptability: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; copes effectively with complexity and change
- Enthusiasm: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has can do attitude.
All teachers will be expected to support the school-wide goals of emphasizing literacy by helping students develop their critical thinking abilities, driving all students toward mastery and understanding, and helping students find their strengths and talents. A certification in science and special education would be ideal. The science teacher must be willing to teach a range of science subject areas including: Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Earth Science.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Developing and implementing unit plans and assessments that are aligned both with OSSE standards and with the school-wide curricular framework at Maya Angelou Academy.
- Scheduling community guest speakers to visit our math classes.
- Completing MDT reports for students with IEPs or students who are eligible for IEP services in a timely fashion.
- Attending special education meetings (i.e. IEP, Manifestation, etc.)
- Assessing individual learning styles and adapting teaching methods to fit
- Working closely with DYRS and school professionals
- Creating a classroom and school environment that features a rich diversity of resources, engages student interest, promotes student leadership and stimulates student learning
- Having thoughtful approaches to teaching concepts and sparking student interest while also imparting essential factual knowledge
- Managing administrative assignments effectively and with a high level of professionalism and integrity
- Participating in interdisciplinary team meetings for all students
- Modeling and contributing to a school culture of hope and high expectations for achievement.
- Bachelor's degree in education or subject field
- Must have or be eligible for certification by OSSE in the appropriate content area
- Experience working with incarcerated or at-risk youth
- Comfortable with a co-teaching model and an integrated 9th-12th grade curriculum
- Familiarity with research-based instructional strategies
Salary and Benefits
Our salaries are comparable to those of other schools in the District of Columbia area. In addition, See Forever offers a robust benefits plan, including health care coverage, FSA/HSA accounts, dental and vision plans, commuter benefits, a 401k retirement savings plan, student loan refinancing options, and the opportunity to positively impact students with a broad range of experiences and backgrounds.
See Forever is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse staff is a better, more effective staff.
Powered by JazzHR