Senior Geospatial Data Engineer
This is a full-time role in Downtown Houston, Texas.
- You must be willing to relocate full-time or commute weekly to Houston.
- You must show experience coding and automating end-to-end spatial data ETL pipelines.
- You must be able to start work full time no more than 4 weeks after an offer is accepted.
Do not apply to this job if any of the three statements above are not true for you.
We will consider sponsoring candidates who are already eligible to work in the U.S. if you live in or will relocate to Houston.
Sourcewater, Inc. (#removed#), based in downtown Houston, provides water market intelligence to the upstream energy industry, the first-ever Internet water marketplace, and other oilfield water data analytics and optimization services. We are inventing the data science to answer complex questions in the energy industry and the widely-recognized leader in oilfield water data services.
We are seeking a Senior Geospatial Data Engineer with outstanding technical and optimization skills to create and lead the design and implementation of our database architecture and data pipelines as we expand our analytics capabilities to tackle complex market intelligence challenges. You are a methodical high performer with a passion for efficiency, and accuracy, and wrangling complex data at high velocity. You specialize in architecting geospatial databases, automating geospatial ETL, designing and implementing frameworks to manage complex workflows, and monitoring data quality. You are a proactive collaborator with the ability to work well under pressure while exhibiting a methodical approach to problem solving. You are excited about the opportunity to create and lead industry-defining data architecture, collection, automation and analytical systems.
We are a startup in a completely new industry segment -- oilfield water market data -- so it is essential that you enjoy rolling up your sleeves and doing innovative, creative work with no roadmap, without big company support staff or big company budgets.
What you’ll do
· Work with our data analyst to architect our spatial databases
· Design, develop, and support our data infrastructure to process diverse geospatial data, using technologies such as SQL, Python, and AWS.
· Design, build and deploy automated GTL/ETL pipelines that are scalable, efficient, reliable, fault-tolerant, and easy to operate.
· Work with geospatial and market data from multiple sources, such as state government regulatory data, satellite imagery, our online marketplace, and outbound data collection programs.
· Enhance, standardize, and join different data sets to achieve data science and analytics objectives.
· Research and build efficient and scalable data storage and retrieval systems that enable interactive reporting on high dimensional data.
· Optimize processing times and deliver information in real time.
· Build libraries and frameworks to empower the team to work effectively with our data.
· Collaborate with our team to create solutions for diagnostic and predictive analytics.
· Work with team members to prioritize tasks and ensure that assigned projects are completed on schedule and with strong attention to detail.
· Maintain accurate, complete, and current documentation.
What we’re looking for
· Proven experience architecting complex spatial databases
· Proven experience coding efficient, scalable, automated end-to-end data ETL pipelines
· Expert knowledge of data integration/conflation and spatial ETL processes
· Experience with scripting ETL development and automation
· Obsessed with optimizing data transfer and ETL
· Experience in the development and implementation of data warehouses, including architecture and infrastructure
· Advanced knowledge of programming languages such as Python, Java, or Scala
· Proven experience at an expert level with PostgreSQL/PostGIS and query optimization
· Enjoy working with all kinds of data, including clean, dirty, unstructured, semi-structured, relational, and geospatial
· Advanced geo-processing knowledge
· Understanding of NoSQL, Spark, Hadoop, Elasticsearch
· Experience with AWS RDS
· Familiarity with graphical spatial ETL tools such as FME
· Familiarity with data science and frontend development tools and processes
· Experience supporting self-service reports using tools such as Tableau, Power BI, Spotfire, etc.
· Experience with tools such as Git, Jenkins, Jira, IntelliJ
· Master’s Degree or Bachelor’s with equivalent experience
· A high performer with a strong customer service orientation and an optimistic personality
· Naturally meticulous, with a passion for process optimization
· Always learning and developing new skills
· Logical, efficient, and flexible
· Highly self-motivated and proactive
· A collaborator
· Able to exercise independent judgment and act on it
· Adept at prioritizing and executing while under pressure
· Energized by a fast-paced environment where collaboration is key and focus can change frequently
· Excited about the opportunities and challenges of working at a startup in Houston, ready to bring your resourcefulness and drive to do amazing work with an amazing team
What Sourcewater offers you
Sourcewater is one of the most awarded and acclaimed technology startups in Houston and in the energy industry nationally. We have an energized, innovative, dedicated team that thrives on challenge and curiosity. We love to try new ideas and solve problems, and have fun doing it.
· Competitive base depending on experience and capabilities
· A generous equity package with vast upside from one of the fastest growing tech startups in the energy industry
· Relocation assistance available
Benefits and perks
· Wide recognition in the energy industry and beyond for creating the data architecture and automation for the central technology company of the energy-water nexus
· Fun downtown innovation environment at Station Houston, Houston’s leading technology incubator
· Highly energized, innovative, dedicated team
· Optional health coverage with BCBS-TX Silver PPO
Sourcewater is the first and only online marketplace and data analytics service for water management in the upstream energy industry, a $40 billion U.S. market. Our services enable energy companies to minimize their majority operating cost (water), ensure a reliable mission-critical supply chain for the primary input, output and constraint on growth in the onshore upstream supply chain (water), and reduce the environmental and community impacts of energy production through market-based incentives and logistical optimization. Sourcewater gathers data from our marketplace activity, proprietary satellite imagery analytics, state government regulatory filings, outbound market research, and IoT and SCADA sensors in the field. Data is analyzed and utilized through the Sourcewater.com marketplace, our online digital mapping platform, custom market research reports and other data products and logistical tools.
Sourcewater was founded as a spinout from MIT’s Energy Ventures program in early 2014. Today over 1,000 companies and over 1 billion barrels of water and disposal capacity are active on Sourcewater.com. Sourcewater has been honored by IHS CERAWeek as an Energy Innovation Pioneer, by Imagine H2O as a Global Finalist, by the Oil & Gas Awards as New Technology of the Year, by Tudor, Pickering, Holt as an Energy Disruptor, by the CleanTech Open with the first CTO Water Prize, by SxSW Eco, by the Rice Energy Alliance, by MassChallenge, by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, and by NEWIN, which named founder Josh Adler Water Innovator of the Year. We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Houston Chronicle, NPR, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Midland Reporter-Times, Odessa American, Xconomy and MIT News, and at dozens of energy and water industry events globally.
To learn more about the company check out:
· Our web site and press section
· This company overview: #-3-18.pdf?dl=0
· This video of founder Josh Adler: #
Role: Senior Geospatial Data Engineer
Apply for this job now.