Company: BENTLEY LABORATORIES, LLC
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
SUMMARY: The Safety Specialist evaluates physical premises, equipment, materials, work practices, and safety policies and programs to ensure safety initiatives are met. Responsible and accountable for critically assessing overall safety, health, and security program, reduce worker's compensation exposure for Bentley and ensuring housekeeping delivers supremely cleaning to facility.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Upgrade the Safety Program as required by implementing new industry programs/standards as well as management/employee ideas.
- Keep current with OSHA standards and amendments as well as other agencies regarding safety and health issues.
- Coordinate OSHA and other Agency inspections.
- Maintain the incident record-keeping system and personally investigate accidents
- Report accidents to the Insurance Carrier and review all first reports of injury.
- Work with the Insurance Carriers with regard to employee claims and supervise return to work and "Temporary Alternative Duty Program."
- Meet with Insurance Carrier "Loss Prevention Representatives."
- Make certain that federal regulations, state laws, and local ordinances regarding safety are complied with.
- Formulate, administer and update as required a loss prevention program.
- Formulate, administer and update as required a safety accountability program that is tailored for each department to monitor progress.
- Formulate, administer and update as required a safety incentive program that rewards those making identifiable contributions toward a safer workplace.
- Facilitate safety committee meetings and distribute meeting minutes.
- Supervise inspections by the plant safety committee.
- Review and submit safety inspection and incident reports to appropriate managers.
- Inspect, test, and evaluate workplace environments, equipment, and practices to ensure they follow safety standards and regulations,
- Design and implementation SOPs,
- Evaluate programs on workplace health and safety,
- Educate employees about workplace safety by preparing and providing training programs and safety moments,
- Investigation of incidents and accidents to identify root cause and prevention
- Workers Compensation audits, claim handling and development of initiatives to lower mod rate.
- Assess the overall safety, health and environment program for compliance with EPA, OSHA, NJDEP, New Jersey municipal specific regulations
- Pest Control Program
- Quarterly Environmental Monitoring (EM) Sample Program
- Temperature Logger Data Download and Analysis
- Monthly Water Reporting to NJ State
- Develop Infectious Disease guidelines
- Develop Business Continuity document
- BA or BS degree in related field
- 5+ years of experience with occupational safety and health (OSH) compliance, management, and implementation activities
- Experience with consulting, including analysis, policy writing, client support, and verbal and written presentations
- Experience with customer engagement and collaboration for problem solving
- Experience with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience with using data analysis to identify trends and report out on organizational lessons learned
- Knowledge of database-type business applications for the purpose of identifying opportunities to develop operational controls and integration of safety requirements
- Knowledge of safety incident investigation and incident trends analysis and reporting
Workers Compensation insurance experience required.
- Knowledge of key loss control standards, guidelines, techniques and disciplines such as ergonomics, machine guarding, environmental health.
- Knowledge of, and the ability to apply, local, state and federal rules and regulations, including state-specific occupational safety and health acts and workers' disability compensation acts.
- Analytical--Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design--Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving--Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management--Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills--Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service--Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills--Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Frequently required to stand
- Frequently required to walk
- Continually required to sit
- Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Continually required to talk or hear
- Continually utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, read
technical information, and/or use a keyboard
- Occasionally work near moving mechanical parts
- Frequently exposure to extreme heat or cold (non-weather)
- Occasionally loud noise (examples: metal can manufacturing, large earth-moving equipment)
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.