Company: Lancaster & Duke Recruitment Consultants
About the role
Our client currently has opportunities for Senior Quantity Surveyors on exciting new rail projects based in Newport.
Playing a pivotal role in this niche and growing business, the Senior Quantity Surveyor role will manage the commercial and contractual control and coordination for a range of projects involving a high degree of complexity and/or risk. You will also manage the Quantity Surveying team and advise the Operational Lead on all aspects relating to commercial activity for the designated projects.
Our Client is a recognised leader in modern rail engineering as well as a specialist in operations and management. They planned, designed and managed the construction of thousands of miles of railway systems, helping their customers to develop the rail industry of the future. From feasibility studies and planning, design and implementation to maintenance and asset management, they provide rail infrastructure services across the lifecycle of rail assets. Their expertise covers track, power, electrification, civils, signalling and railway systems and technologies. They work in partnership with their customers and supply chain to develop safe, efficient solutions that are always ‘best for project’. This collaborative approach ultimately leads to improved project delivery and contributes to the industry challenge of providing a more cost effective rail network.
What you'll be doing
This is a varied and interesting role, with involvement in key areas of the business.
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring the successful commercial performance of high complexity contracts.
- Ensuring the effective management of contract customer relationships (internal and external) and the timely provision of information between all parties.
- Ensuring full compliance with commercial processes.
- Managing and developing a team of Quantity Surveyors.
- Ensuring effective main and subcontract administration in order to deliver project commercial strategy.
- Working in conjunction with the Operation team to identify, escalate and mitigate risks.
- Contributing to the Safety Leadership of the project/contract.
- Preparation and agreement of final accounts.
- Managing compliance with processes and ensuring quality standards are maintained across the team(s), recommending improvements where necessary.
- The preparation and implementation of project specific commercial strategy to ensure robust Cost Management and production of project monthly reports.
- Ensuring Measure and Value is accurately and auditably measured.
- Ensuring robust cost control and budget management through the implementation of commercial review processes.
- Ensuring contemporary record keeping is undertaken by the project/contract and are organised to enable retrieval and access as defined by the conditions of contract.
- Producing and maintaining "First Principle" detailed forecast cost to completion underpinned by a fully resourced programme.
- Submitting applications in accordance with timescales detailed within the contract and providing accurate and verifiable cash flow forecasts to finance.
- Ensuring Subcontract Administration is administered strictly in accordance with the specific agreement requirements.
- Implementing robust and consistent change management and claims change control processes whilst establishing and maintaining a collaborative culture.
- Provision on commercial advice to project teams.
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role, you will have;
- Experience of dispute resolution.
- Rail sector Quantity Surveying experience essential
- A detailed understanding of Contract Law and insurances.
- A detailed knowledge of differing standard forms of contract.
- Working knowledge or risk management.
- Knowledge and understanding of sub-contracting principles.
- Ability to provide contract advice to teams.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to use own initiative.
- Effective negotiation skills.
- Full membership of a recognised professional institute (i.e RICS or CICES) – Desirable
- Substantial experience in Quantity Surveying obtained in a similar, relevant environment.
- Experience of financial and commercial control within a project environment.