Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
What we’re building
We now need a Company Secretary Assistant to support the transformation and the future growth of the business within the Legal function, so it can Serve as a trusted partner to the business, offering timely and accurate advice and value-added services by managing legal and regulatory risks effectively and
To provide high quality, professional and comprehensive assistance on all company secretarial matters including undertaking or assisting with all administrative tasks and meetings administration. To support the Deputy Company Secretary and Company Secretarial team, and to assist in Company Secretary objectives being met in a timely manner and within statutory deadlines.
What you’ll do
- Carry out Company Secretary administrative duties within statutory deadlines effectively in order to help support the Company Secretary including the planning, preparation and arranging of Board and Committee meetings.
- Arrange and plan all board, committee and meetings within the responsibility of UK Company Secretariat so that they all report in accordance with corporate structure and meet deadlines. As required produce and distribute reports, board papers, committee papers, agendas, presentations and correspondence on behalf of UK Company Secretariat to meet deadlines in hard copy, by email, board portal, Sharepoint or other means deemed appropriate.
- Typing up minutes of Board and Committee meetings and action points. Sending out minutes for comments/changes and amalgamating all information. Maintain lists of forthcoming items due to go to board/committees meetings.
- Maintain the electronic Corporate Governance secure drive where all Board and Committee papers are filed for access by the Executive Directors, involves chasing the responsible member of Company Secretarial for timely production of minutes and forwarding of all meeting papers.
- Assist with completing and filing Confirmation Statements, Report & Accounts and all documentation to Companies Registries and regulators in the UK, Hong Kong and as required and ensure the statutory records of subsidiary companies are kept up to date and all necessary filings are on a timely basis.
- Using the companies entity management system(s), maintain accurate record of filings, company records, statutory registers and company books. Organise sealing of documents by Group companies and maintain register of numbers.
- Assist with renewing the permit for Jersey Financial Services Commission and LEI Codes
- As required liaise and correspond effectively with non-executive directors. Assist with processing director fees and expenses for payment.
Who you are
- Highly organised and methodical, process driven and detail-oriented.
- Ability to perform efficient, accurate, timely secretarial and administrative duties
- Ability to maintain effective and accurate records & filing systems
- Ability to prioritise work & work under pressure to meet service standards
- Ability to work independently and manage own workload but not be afraid to ask for help as required.
- Ability to work well with a team and collaboratively.
- Analytical skills, with an ability to think around an issue, understanding the broader implications, devise a creative solution, proactively take the necessary action and use own initiative top identify the next steps of a task.
- Strong communication skills and able to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation
- Excellent Telephone manner
- Up to date knowledge of Company secretarial Practice, and of Company Law and other relevant legislation
- Good knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and E-mail
- Ability to prepare presentations and templates.
- Accurate and speedy keyboard skills
- Experience of organising meetings, producing meeting packs in hard copy and via board portal.
- Experience of using and updating entity management systems for example Blueprint for recording and filing of all statutory information.
- Experience of working at pace in a changing environment, operating under pressure and meeting tight deadlines.
- Experience of dealing with senior directors, executive and managers.
- Flexible and have a diplomatic approach
•Good knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Sound computer skills, ideally with experience using online legal/corporate secretarial entity management systems such as Diligent™, Secretariat™ or GEMS; able to adapt and apply new technologies.
- Candidates who have commenced the ICSA Company Secretarial qualification or are a part qualified ICSA graduate are preferred. Candidates with relevant experience / seeking a training opportunity will be considered.
What you’ll like about working here
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you’ll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You’ll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development.
Our focus is to have an engaged, committed and motivated work force, operating in a high performing and collaborative culture. We want to create an organisation that offers opportunities for all our people to develop their skills and talent, and build rewarding careers with us.
Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences.