Position Type: Regular
Scheduled Hours per 2 week Pay Period: 72
Primary Location: IA > COUNCIL BLUFFS > MERCY CB
Shift: 2130-0700 rotating weekends and holidays
CHI Health is a regional health network with a unified mission: nurturing the healing ministry of the Church while creating healthier communities. Headquartered in Omaha, the combined organization consists of 14 hospitals, two stand-alone behavioral health facilities, more than 150 employed physician practice locations and more than 12,000 employees in Nebraska and southwestern Iowa.
In fiscal 2018, CHI Health invested more than $179.3 million back into our communities. The majority of those dollars went to caring for the poor and underserved.
CHI Health is part of CommonSpirit Health, a nonprofit, Catholic health system dedicated to advancing health for all people. It was created in February 2019 through the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives and Dignity Health. CommonSpirit Health is committed to creating healthier communities, delivering exceptional patient care, and ensuring every person has access to quality health care. With its national office in Chicago and a team of approximately 150,000 employees and 25,000 physicians and advanced practice clinicians, CommonSpirit Health operates 142 hospitals and more than 700 care sites across 21 states. In FY 2018, Catholic Health Initiatives and Dignity Health had combined revenues of $29.2 billion and provided $4.2 billion in charity care, community benefit, and unreimbursed government programs.
The incumbent reports directly to the Coordinator of Phlebotomy / Phlebotomy Manager / Site Manager. The incumbent works collaboratively with management to achieve system objectives. In addition, the incumbent works cooperatively with Nursing and Ancillary Departments to deliver high quality and cost-effective laboratory services. The incumbent is responsible for providing exceptional customer service and timely and accurate blood collections that directly support the delivery of laboratory services in an integrated system.
- Obtains blood specimens by capillary puncture or venipuncture using appropriate technique.
- Correctly identifies patient per written protocol and properly labels specimens accurately and completely, while maintaining the integrity of the specimen in relation to the test being performed.
- Exercises judgment in determining work priority. Interacts with nursing units to ascertain critical priorities and verify discrepancies.
- Disposes of contaminated lab supplies and handles all lab specimens regarding potential health hazards according to written procedures.
- Receives laboratory specimens, orders tests, processes specimens using the centrifuge and
- Distributes specimens to appropriate testing areas communicating special instructions.
- Performs general duties as required: answering phones, monitoring the pneumatic tube, ordering and distributing supplies, cleaning work areas, taking refrigerator temperatures, printing and distributing results etc.
- Maintains professional attitude with patients, visitors, hospital staff and fellow employees while assuring the confidentiality of all hospital information. Discusses problems in a professional, adult and calm manner.
- Assumes responsibility for personal and professional growth through participation in mandatory department meetings, in-service programs, continuing education and yearly education requirements as stated by policy.
Six months previous phlebotomy experience, science background, customer
Required: High School diploma or GED.
Preferred: Phlebotomy certification or completion of a
to use general clerical equipment, telephones, and computers is required.
laboratory environment. Exposure to
chemical and biological hazards. Routine
periods of sitting, walking and standing required.