Job Description: Senior Food/Process Technician
Location: Vernon, CA
Reports to: Director of R&D
About Golden West Food Group:
Headquartered in Vernon, CA GWFG is a premium full spectrum manufacturer and distributor of fine food and beverage products. Family owned and operated since 1977 and operating two plants in southern California, GWFG offers more than 4,000 products to a variety of customers in both the foodservice and retail channels. GWFG is committed to providing the highest quality food products with an unrelenting commitment to fresh, nutritious ingredients and promotion of eco-friendly business practices.
Develop new products according to the requirements of the Sales and Marketing function from concept development to commercialization. Responsible for applying scientific and engineering principles in research, development, production technology, quality control, packaging, processing and utilization of foods to design develop and producing new and/or improved products. This position plays a major role in the creation of new products and assists the Research and Development team on all ongoing projects, research and administrative tasks. Individual will be responsible for completing all samples for innovation ideas and customer presentations. This position functions within a fast-paced environment of changing priorities, multiple projects and short deadlines.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ordering and gathering ingredients from production plant.
- Grocery shopping for ideation, sample and customer presentations
- Preparing, making and shipping specific customer samples by project.
- Preparation of R & D formula Spreadsheets.
- Maintaining adequate inventories of ingredients needed for projects.
- Assisting with plant trials, sensory and shelf life tests.
- Conducting competitive analysis and segregation analysis.
- Able to be trained on Genesis nutritional program, preparation of ingredient statements, and focused label review.
- Participate in meetings with cross functional teams, which may include program development, brainstorming sessions, timelines and project status updates
- Preparation of comprehensive process documentation to enable smooth commercialization and training of plant personnel, and meet internal and external audit requirement including regulatory compliance, label reviews, BOM specification, raw ingredients specification, product specification, shelf life, etc.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- To perform this job successfully, the candidate must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. The physical demands and work environment are representative of the demands and environment in which this position must function.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong Analytical skills
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in food science, biology, chemistry, or a related life science field; and a minimum of 3 years related product development in foods or consumer products (Must have extensive knowledge and hands-on experience in formulation and process in sauces, dressings, seasonings, condiments, soups, concentrates); and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge of food and safety regulations is required (FDA, USDA, CFR). Knowledge of process and package development, QA, project process management, financial hurdles, and strong PC skills are preferred.
Ideal candidate must be able to read and comprehend written and verbal instructions. Draft memos and correspondence with ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Fluent in English and Spanish, preferred
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Be able to read and comprehend instruments, equipment manuals.
While performing the duties of this job, the individual is regularly required to stand; use hands or fingers to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; walk, climb or balance; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The individual occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles; The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. The individual will handle and is exposed to allergenic and sensitive materials, such as soy, wheat, gluten, dairies, seafood, nuts, sulfites, etc.
Golden West Food Group is a leading provider of high quality prepared and processed food products. Our product lines include raw proteins, specialty snacks, cooked entrees and beverages sold to the retail and foodservice segments. In addition to premium quality products, we are committed to food safety, maintaining BRC AA status as well as numerous additional food system certifications.
Role: Senior Food Technologist
Apply for this job now.