Responsibilities of our Annual Buyer are to:
· Provide both internal and external customers with the highest quality plant material by incorporating customer feedback, market trends, and historic analysis.
· Develop the yearly plant purchasing plan for the upcoming season, make adjustments, and partner with Division Manager and Nursery Manager to establish pricing.
· Continually develop a network of potential vendors and suppliers. Maintain strong relationships and set expectations with current vendors and suppliers. Some over-night travel to growers is required.
· Source product to fulfill the yearly plan. Search for specialty or specimen product to fit unique applications. Source additional product to meet new needs of internal and external customers.
· Produce saleable inventory reports for landscape architects and retail nursery managers.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
· Three to five years of experience as a green goods buyer or sales representative for a grower. It is critical that this experience has provided an in-depth understanding of the grower network and the retail industry.
· Strong horticulture knowledge gained from a degree in horticulture, industry certifications and/or hands-on experience.
· A fast-on-your-feet problem solver with a high energy level who is confident to take trend-setting risks.
· Strong ability to integrate analytics and metrics with industry trends and intuition when making plant purchasing decisions.
· Confident and thorough communicator who knows how to utilize phone calls, emails, texts, and face-to-face meetings for the most productive, tactful, and diplomatic interactions.
· A good listener, who has a proven track record of seeking out input from co-workers, and can work collaboratively with retail managers, landscape architects and designers, and horticulturists.
· Be able to have a big picture focus, staying mindful of all the small details.
· Demonstrated abilities using technology - inventory management systems, point of sale systems (Counterpoint is a plus) social media, Microsoft Office (especially Excel).
This is a full-time year-round salaried position. Benefits and compensation package includes competitive salary; medical, dental, life and disability insurances; paid time off; holidays; 401(k) with match; and product discount.
Chalet procures the very best plant material in order to serve Chalet customers at both our retail nursery and garden center in Wilmette, IL, and our landscape division in North Chicago, IL. We have an opportunity for an Annual Buyer to join our team.
Role: Green Goods Buyer (Annuals)
Apply for this job now.