We do require a resume and a completed online application. Please complete our application here:
Youth Policy Institute is seeking a full-time Garden Coordinator in the Health & Wellness Department. The Garden Coordinator will plan, implement and facilitate garden, health and nutrition seminars and classes to educate parents and students in middle, elementary, and high schools located in the San Fernando Valley and Los Angeles area. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate parent and student workshops at school sites.
- Develop, plan, and execute projects to increase the general wellness in students and parents.
- Data entry and analysis of parent and student participation and progress.
- Keep organized excel spreadsheets tracking participant information, attendance, and progress.
- Assist in program evaluation by completing program reports and complying with grant guidelines.
- Support Nutrition Education Supervisor and program staff in daily administrative, program and other tasks.
- Research and seek for resources on gardening, health and nutrition topics.
- Conduct marketing and outreach to families, school meetings, and community events.
- Learn and maintain up-to-date knowledge about available health, nutrition and gardening.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with parents, school administration, teachers and community agencies.
- Refer families to appropriate community resources.
- Plan and develop community based activities for parents and students as it relates to community gardening.
- Attend staff meetings and professional development trainings and/or workshops.
- Present workshops for YPI and collaborative community agencies on related topics.
- Travel between sites required.
- Represent the mission and vision of YPI.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 1 year experience working in a school or community based setting preferred.
- 1 year experience in facilitation of workshops, trainings, and/or classes.
- Be knowledgeable on creating and facilitating lesson plans.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge in computers, internet, and research.
- Bilingual, English and Spanish preferred.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task and prioritize.
- Demonstrates ability to work in diverse groups, commitment to building relationships with families and the community.
- Be flexible, must be available to work flexible schedule (some mornings, some evenings).
- Have reliable transportation. If applicable, must be able to provide proof of acceptable driving record (H-6 printout) and proof of auto insurance coverage.
- Must pass a criminal background check (Live Scan fingerprinting) prior to beginning employment.
- Must present proof of negative Tuberculosis skin test (TB) prior to beginning employment.
Benefits or Incentives
- Option to participate in agency sponsored medical coverage with percentage of paid premium for employee. Eligible dependents can also obtain coverage at an additional cost to the employee.
- 401K retirement plan with up to 4% guarantee matching contributions for all eligible employees.
- Paid sick time off.
- Agency-issued laptop and case, if applicable.
- Option to have company-issued cell phone or agency will pay monthly allowance to use your own phone for YPI business.
- Reimbursement of all mileage and travel costs.
- Access to training resources and materials.
- Employer paid Employee Assistance Program.
- Option to participate in monthly well-being challenge.
The Youth Policy Institute transforms Los Angeles neighborhoods using a holistic approach to reduce poverty by ensuring families have access to high quality schools, wrap-around education and technology services, enabling a successful transition from cradle to college and career.
Since the 1990’s, YPI has successfully blended multiple funding streams and partnerships to saturate Los Angeles communities with critically needed services. YPI currently operates a $51 million budget and places more than 1,200 staff at 125 service sites throughout Los Angeles. YPI provide programs and services to more than 100,000 clients each year
Role: Garden / Health & Nutrition Coordinator (Temporary Full-Time)
Location: Los Angeles,
Apply for this job now.