Barrier Free Living (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. BFL provides a broad range of residential (Freedom House) and community based (The Secret Garden) services, which provides a variety of services to domestic violence (DV) survivors with disabilities. Freedom House (FH) is BFL's emergency shelter for domestic violence survivors with or without disabilities. Freedom House accepts women, children and men. Its programs include individual counseling for adults and children, support groups, safety planning, case management, housing assistance, occupational therapy, financial clinic services, onsite childcare, and advocacy within the medical, mental health, child welfare, law enforcement, and criminal justice systems.
BFL seeks a qualified Maintenance Worker to provide the following who is a self-starter and work with minimum supervision.
- Assist with general building maintenance and cleaning within the facility and outside surrounding area which includes but is not limited to mopping, sweeping, snow removal, cleaning of compactor room, discarding of garbage.
- Troubleshoots issues to determine necessary repairs
- Performs general repairs such as repairing drywall, painting, floor buffing and waxing, and light plumbing
- Assist with the cleaning of apartments when resident's leave and prepare for new arriving residents
- Assist Resident Aides in picking up new family's at a designated location
- Assist with loading and unloading van
- Assist staff in conducting fire drills
- Informs Supervisor of needed supplies
- Maintain courteous professionalism, respectful interactions with all resident's, staff, and visitors
- Participate in all required training and meetings
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Prior experience in the field of general maintenance and cleaning
- Experience working in a residential/shelter setting a plus
- Must be able to lift, bend, stoop, climb, reach, and lift up to 25 pounds at a time.
- Ability to use hand tools and power tools
- Ability to work with diverse populations including people with disabilities and those who are D/deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Bilingual English-Spanish and/or American Sign Language (ASL) preferred
- Ability to work within a team
- Good communication skills
- Computer literate
Start Date: ASAP.
Hourly Rate: $18.00, non-exempt
Hours per week: 35 - Wednesday - Sunday 12:30 - 8:30 pm
Benefits Package: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan, Paid vacation, Sick days, Personal days, Paid National Holidays, and more.
Public Assistant Recipient is encouraged to apply.
BFL provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants, with employment-based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, creed, genetic disposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic as established by law.