BAE Systems Applied Intelligence helps nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cybercrime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations.
We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes - often collecting and analysing huge volumes of data. These, combined with our Cyber Special forces - some of the most skilled people in the world - enable us to defend against cyber-attacks, fraud and financial crime, enable intelligence-led policing and solve complex data problems.
We are obsessed about solving problems for our customers; we bring together great minds that face tough challenges on a daily basis, and are encouraged to make a difference.Role Profile
As a Graduate Engineer, you will work as a part of a project team, alongside skilled and experienced individuals who are motivated to train and coach you on the day-to-day skills required to work closely with our customers, both internal and external. You will learn the tools, techniques and approaches used by engineering professionals and apply them in a controlled environment to ensure projects are delivered on time, to quality and to budget. Graduate Engineers will support their team to ensure that engineering practices are followed on all aspects of project definition and delivery.
As a Graduate, you will have the opportunity to work on a range of projects across our varied client base which will enable you to explore and select a career path which builds on your particular strengths as well as gives you exposure to the range of engineering roles in a project environment.
This role will also include developing an understanding of the core values, organisational structure and working practices of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence.Role Description
Software Engineer - As a Graduate Engineer, we expect you to be ready to tackle (and enjoy!) programming tasks from the outset, but we will take the time to mentor you through smaller packages of work and enhancements to our product range. You will work primarily in java, however we always look for the best framework for the job; some of our developments use c# .net, c++ and html5 technologies. Day to day tasks could include:
What to Expect on the Programme
- Assisting in the design, test and implementation of software which forms part of a properly engineered system
- Overcoming development obstacles to deliver quality code on time
- Helping to specify user/system interfaces
- Assisting in producing detailed designs and documents using required standards, methods and tools
- Understanding and translating business design into a logical design, for a simple software application
- Producing physical designs that describe the required structure and behaviour of a simple software application characterised by low-risk non-functional requirements
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence is a fast paced and agile business. The more you put into your role the more you will get out, building lasting professional relationships. You may get the opportunity to work with clients early on in your time with us which will require you to think on your feet and quickly get up to speed with our products and services.
Projects will vary depending on; business needs, your skills and your future aspirational field of expertise. You will not always be working on a project of your choice; however every piece of work will provide you with a valuable breadth of experience within our business and that of our clients.
You will be part of our Future Talent community and be provided with a career mentor who will support and guide you throughout your career with us. It is not all work and no play, the Future Talent community regularly runs social events and activities for all to get involved with.
We encourage you, as a Graduate Engineer, to immerse yourself within your project team, who will be on hand to support you, providing on the job training, advice and networking opportunities. You will be encouraged to build your internal and external networks in order to better expose yourself to the variety of opportunities within our business. Entry Requirements
Desired Technical Ability
- On track to achieve/ already achieved a 2:1 or above in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths subject
- 128 UCAS points or equivalent (as per the 2017 UCAS tariff) #
Aptitude in one or more of the following:
- Java - Java JEE, JSP, JSF, EJB, Spring, JDBC
- Infrastructure - systems administration, network security & engineering, protocols (TCP/IP)
- Microsoft - C#, C++, .NET, SharePoint, ODBC
- Data processing - Hadoop, Oracle, R, SQL
- Web - HTML, XML, SOAP
- O/S - Linux, Windows
- Mobile - iOS, Android,
- MATLAB, Maple
- Microsoft Office - specifically Microsoft Excel - Lookups, pivot tables
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- The aptitude for solving complex/technical problems
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Articulate, both verbally and in writing
- Objective and logical with an enquiring and creative mind
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Resilience under pressure
- Desire to learn
- Competence in Microsoft Office packages/ IT literate
Role: Software Engineer Graduate Programme - September 2020
Job Type: Graduate scheme, Permanent, Full Time
Apply for this job now.