Date: May 24, 2021
Title: Campus Safety Officer (Full-time and Part-Time)
Description: Under the supervision of the Director and Assistant Director for Campus Safety the Campus Safety officers provide a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff, visitors and all other members of the Hartwick College Community. To protect the property and assets of Hartwick College and the personal property of faculty, students and staff living and working on Campus. Enforce the rules, regulations and policies of Hartwick College in a fair and equal manner. Assist the local authorities and outside agencies with any investigations into wrongdoing which affects the campus. In order to accomplish these duties the department is in operation 24/7/365 with safety officers working various time shifts based on College needs. Officers patrol the entire campus, including residence halls, as well as the area immediately surrounding the campus, to identify potential areas of concern and to deter policy violations and criminal activity.
- Mobile patrols of all campus roadways and parking areas
- Complete random foot patrols of residence halls and academic buildings
- Open and secure all academic and administrative buildings based on a prescribed schedule
- Respond in a timely manner to all calls for assistance or service and take appropriate action to assess injuries, identify crimes, and support victims by providing a safe environment.
- Enforce campus parking and vehicle regulations
- Prepare reports of any incidents, policy violations or conditions which require administrative follow up
- Provide medical transport when needed on and off campus
- Maintain needed traffic control points and detours for any on-campus construction, truck deliveries or special events, to insure the safety of motorists and pedestrians.
- Assist students and staff with building and room lockouts
- Make timely notifications to appropriate supervisors and other Hartwick College staff of emergencies, hazardous situations, and any other newsworthy or major incidents.
- Must have the ability and training to perform all of the essential duties and responsibilities of a Campus Safety Dispatcher and to work shifts in that capacity when directed.
- Administer emergency medical care when necessary to include CPR, AED, and Narcan.
- Interact with students, faculty and staff to provide information, assistance, and assist with the resolution of complaints and unmet needs.
- Assist local Police & Fire agencies when needed on campus.
- Assist Hartwick College facilities personnel as needed and to make timely notifications regarding safety hazards or conditions.
- Participate in major campus events, including but not limited to Commencement Weekend, WickWeek, True Blue Weekend, athletic competitions and special events
- Expected to comply with all applicable College, Federal, State, local and associational regulations
- As a representative of the College, expected to comport oneself in a professional manner at all times, both on and off campus
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
- Minimum of a High School diploma or G.E.D. is required.
- Minimum experience of six months to one year in a customer-service related field, and to possess tact and good judgement in dealing with others
- Be able to frequently carry 20 to 30 pounds, and occasionally carry 50 pounds
- Have patience and maturity to deal with tense, stressful, and potentially dangerous situations, and to be in control of emotions when dealing with difficult people
- Willingness to balance personal obligations with work schedules, and to be available for overtime and schedule changes during nights and weekends with limited notice
- Working knowledge of windows based computer software and the ability to learn new programs and software as necessary
- Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the College
- Campus Safety Officers will have access to training to obtain and maintain a NYS Security Guard license, and AED, CPR, and Narcan certification
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk the boundaries of the campus, including the navigation of the numerous outdoor staircases. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Employee must occasionally lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds as well as help students and/or faculty in case of medical situation. Making rounds of the campus on foot, while traversing multiple staircases.
An independent, residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1,200 full-time undergraduates, Hartwick embraces the teacher-scholar model, with teaching excellence as the first priority, and seeks to recruit, retain and promote a diverse workforce.
Located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley in Oneonta, NY, near the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains, the College features a Liberal Arts in Practice general education curriculum and aspires to “be the best at melding liberal arts education with experiential learning.”
Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, and prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression. Hartwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to broadening “the understanding, awareness, and appreciation of diversity among all members of the Hartwick community.” Women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Hartwick College is committed to providing a safe and secure educational and employment environment. Employment at Hartwick College is therefore contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick College is committed to a diverse candidate pool, values an inclusive workforce and workplace environment, and wishes to minimize or eliminate the impact of implicit bias during the search and hiring process.
All applicants are asked to submit the following materials with their online applications:
- A cover letter;
- A resume;
- A Diversity Statement that addresses how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College's Diversity Statement (https://#removed#/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/); and
- The names and contact information for three references, with annotation regarding how the reference is related to you and your work (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor).
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Powered by JazzHR