We are currently looking for both part time and full time Direct Care Counselors to join our team!
Abilis is a non-profit organization that provides services to people with developmental disabilities over the course of their lives. The Associate/Direct Care Counselor works in one of our residential group homes, located throughout Greenwich and Stamford, and is a key player in ensuring that the people we support are given every opportunity to live independent lives.
- High school diploma or GED
- Previous experience providing direct care support to people with developmental disabilities is preferred, but not necessarily required.
- A valid drivers license that allows a person to be insured as designated by our vehicle insurance carrier. Our employees must have held their license for at least three consecutive years.
- The ability to maintain / receive CPR certifications.
- Be physically able to perform CPR and the Heimlich maneuver.
- Ability to implement program goals and handle participants' behavioral issues.
- Expected to successfully complete special training programs as maybe required by the State of Connecticut.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Responsible for ensuring the general well being of the residents in the house.
- Facilitating a warm, family environment conducive to the residents to learn, at their own rate, skills leading to greater personal independence and self esteem.
- Must be flexible and able to adapt to many situations, and able to complete a myriad of other duties related to successful operation of a home.
- Assists in provision of periodic evaluation of assigned residents in the following areas; grooming, personal appearance and hygiene, meal planning and preparation, money management, housekeeping and sanitation following universal precautions, interpersonal relationships, use of community resources, including leisure resources, communication and emergency procedures, self image, including sexuality, health and safety precautions.
- Keep resident activity records on a daily basis, recording major activities, behaviors, progress, and recommendations.
- To provide for transportation needs for home and residents via agency vehicle or arrange for suitable transportation
- To participate in professional development activities and other personal requirement necessary for licensure.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Please select apply to submit your resume for consideration!
Abilis provides people with developmental disabilities and their families in Lower Fairfield County with supports and advocacy for building able lives and strong communities.
Abilis will set the standard of excellence for person-centered services through innovation, teamwork and respect for the people we serve. Together, we will shape communities in which people of all abilities participate and contribute as equal citizens.
Role: Counselor - Direct Care All Shifts - Greenwich, Norwalk, Stamford
Apply for this job now.