We are currently recruiting for an SEN teaching assistant who has experience working with children or adults with Autism. You will be working in a state of the arts SEN school based in Northamptonshire in small classes alongside other experienced SEN TA's and a specialist ASD Teacher. For this position you will ideally need experience working with young people on the Autism spectrum in a school or care setting.
The school are ideally looking for a Teaching Assistant who has:
- Previous experience supporting pupils with Autism
- Has an engaging, confident approach and is able to build positive relationships with pupils
- Strong behaviour management skills
- Ability to tailor your approach
- Driven, motivated and positive personality
- Ability to work in a way that promotes the safety and wellbeing of children and young people
As a SEN TA you will be expected to do the following:
- Ensuring the pupils are able to use equipment and materials provided
- Motivating and encouraging the pupil as required by providing levels of individual attention, reassurance and help with learning tasks as appropriate to pupils' needs
- Assisting in speech and language, reading, spelling, numeracy, handwriting/presentation etc
- Using praise, commentary and assistance to encourage the pupil to concentrate and stay on task
- Liaising with class teacher, SENCO and other professionals about individual education plans (IEPs), contributing to the planning and delivery as appropriate
- Providing additional nurture to individuals when requested by the class teacher or SENCO
- Consistently and effectively implementing agreed behaviour management strategies
- Helping to make appropriate resources to support the pupils
The school will provide access to specific training, like British Sign Language and Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) courses. They may also provide training on learning difficulties like dyslexia or autism. With experience, you may take a course to become a higher level teaching assistant (HLTA). With further study you could become a fully qualified SEN or mainstream teacher.
Teaching Personnel are the UK's leading Education Recruitment Agency and we are recruiting for similar vacancies across Northamptonshire.
In order to register with Teaching Personnel, candidates are required to have Child Workforce DBS registered on the update service. All candidates are required to complete a Safeguarding course through Teaching Personnel, or provide a relevant safeguarding certificate during your registration process. All offers are conditional upon satisfactory vetting checks and references.
If you feel this is the right role for you then please contact Harry McCullagh at Teaching Personnel on 01604 376814.