South Shore Neurologic Associates, PC - Opening for Medical Assistant
Job Summary: Medical assistants review a patient’s medical history, conduct pre-examination tasks entering all information into the company’s EHR system before the physician or other healthcare provider sees the patient, and provides support and assistance to the physician during the exam, if necessary. The duties of Medical Assistants vary from setting to setting, depending on location and department.
Position Responsibilities: Common responsibilities of Medical Assistants include, but are not limited to:
- Verifies patient information by interviewing patients; recording medical history in company’s EHR system and confirming the purpose of the visit
- Assuring all patients medications and test results are present and documented for the physician or other healthcare providers review
- Prepares patients for the examination by performing preliminary vital signs and recording results into the patients EHR chart
- Secures patient information and maintains patients confidence by completing and safeguarding medical records; keeping all patient information confidential according to HIPAA guidelines
- Maintains safe, secure and healthy work environment by establishing and following standards and procedures which comply with legal regulations
- Prepares patients for examinations and performs routine screening tests
- Phlebotomy and collection of other lab specimens
- Assists physician with exams, when necessary
- Uses communication skills with appropriate medical terminology
- Practices OSHA safety standards
- Follows appropriate legal and ethical professional conduct
- Performs other position-related duties as assigned
- Punctual and dependable for assigned shifts
- High school or equivalency program graduate
- Two (2) years Medical Assistant experience is preferred
- Clear background check
- Medical Assistant Certification credentials current
- Able to read and write consistent with job requirements; cognitive skills as related to the position
- Proficient interpersonal relations and communicative skills
- BILINGUAL (ENGLISH/SPANISH) STRONGLY PREFERRED!
Working Conditions: Medical Assistants work in well-lighted, clean environments. They constantly interact with other people and may have to handle several responsibilities at once. Full-time medical assistants work a regular 40-hour work week and may be asked to work evenings or weekends.
Physical Demands: Medical Assistants may spend a great deal of their professional day walking, standing, moving and manipulating equipment, as well as lifting and moving objects, equipment and supplies. It is reasonable to anticipate lifting 20-25 pounds in any given day. Lifting up to 40-50 pounds may occasionally be required, depending on the specific style or type of care provided.In the performance of certain patient care tasks, the Medical Assistant may be expected to have sufficient manual dexterity in order to safely perform various skills and techniques. Tasks and expectations may vary by office and department. Medical Assistants may also be expected to have a level of visual and auditory acuity sufficient to meet the needs of their job tasks. Corrective equipment and devices may enhance the person’s ability to achieve the appropriate level of acuity.The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach forward with hands and arms. The employee is required to sit and stoop, kneel, or crouch.Physical Demand Ratings are an estimate of the overall strength requirements that are considered to be important for an average, successful work performance of a specific job. In order to classify the occupation of a worker with a physical demand rating, the most strenuous and frequently performed tasks are evaluated. The overall physical demand rating for a job of the Medical Assistant falls within the Light classification according to the Dictionary of Occupational Titles.
Job Type: Full-time
South Shore Neurologic Associates, PC is a comprehensive Neurologic care facility which is dedicated to alleviating the symptoms of neurological illness, neurological injury and chronic pain through excellence in patient care, advocacy, service, education and research. We have been providing neurologic care for people living in Suffolk County, Long Island since 1980. We have expanded our practice over the years to set standards in neurologic care on Long Island; through research and innovative treatments while providing comprehensive and personal patient care at our offices in Islip, Patchogue, and Riverhead as well as affiliated hospitals.
We are currently affiliated with Southside Hospital in Bayshore, Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in Patchogue, and Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead.
Our sixteen Neurologists are supported by a professional staff with specializations in Neuroradiology, Infusion Nursing, Clinical Research, Physical Therapy, Chiropractic, Pain Management, and Acupuncture.
Role: Medical Assistant / Large Neurology Practice
Apply for this job now.