Company: FREIGHTLINER OF WINCHESTER
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
Job Title: Diesel Technician
Job Reports To: Shop Foremen / Service Manager
Exempt or Non-Exempt: Non-Exempt
Full-Time or Part-Time: Full Time
Position with primary responsibility for the diagnosis and repairing of customer vehicles.
Essential Job Functions:
- Determine cause of malfunction; use manufactures approved troubleshooting guides, test drive, or refer to manufactures on-line or printed service manuals as necessary.
- Promote sales of labor, parts, and accessories to meet customer needs.
- Perform requested labor operations using recommended procedures, tools and equipment.
- Document work performed and applicable technical information.
- Note additional needed work and obtain approval before proceeding.
- Clean all parts that have been worked on and keep customers vehicles clean.
- Maintain housekeeping and organization of personal work area.
- Maintain tools and equipment.
- Order parts according to dealership procedures.
- Tag all warranty parts and return all dirty cores to Parts in a timely manner.
- Perform repairs in a timely manner set by the manufactures standard repair time guidelines. In addition to the essential functions listed above, the employee is expected to exercise honesty, integrity and respect with all clients and co-workers, maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, demonstrate a positive attitude, communicate effectively with co-workers and clients, work with accuracy, efficiency, and attention to detail, respect the work environment and keep it as neat and clean as possible, and exercise initiative to learn new skills and tasks and to help co-workers when possible. The employee is also expected to perform such other duties and functions as required from time to time. The Physical Capabilities Checklist for this job, which specifies the physical requirements of the job, is attached and is incorporated into this description.
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid driver's license (automotive and CDL)
- State inspection license (preferred)
- Must meet minimum tool list (attached)
- Diagnostics computers
- Overhead cranes
- Various air tools (including impact guns 1inch,3/4 inch,1/2 inch, and 3/8 drive)
- Floor jacks, transmission and clutch jacks.
- Hydraulic press
- Air compressors
- Primarily a shop environment with heavy machinery and equipment operation.
- A good deal of work in all types of weather conditions.
- Total hours of sitting at one time - .5 hours
- Total hours of sitting in a typical workday - .5 hours
- Total hours of standing at one time - 2 hours
- Total hours of standing in a typical workday - 7 hours
- Total hours of walking at one time - .5 hours
- Total hours of walking in a typical workday - 1 hour
- Talking - Person to person and on the phone
- Hearing - In person, on the phone and in a group setting
- Vision - Near and depth perception
- Technicians are required to carry parts from the parts department to their work area. There are forklifts, carts and trucks available to assist them in getting the parts to their work area.
- The typical weight is 50 pounds and the maximum is 150 pounds.
- Typical distance is 150 feet.
- Frequency is 1 to 10 times per day, plus or minus.
- Duration is 1 to 2 minutes at a time.
Other Essential Job Duties:
Handling - Both hands
Fingering - Both hands
Feeling - Both hands