Acevedo’s Postreria Gourmet, LLC
- Pastry Chef / Donut Maker -
The Pastry Chef is responsible for assisting the Executive Pastry Chef overseeing production of baking, Pastries, Sweets, Ice-Creams, Fillings and Toppings, including their design, creating, execution and presentation. The Pastry Chef demonstrates strong leadership qualities with attention to detail in elevating and sustain a competitive edge. The Chef is accountable for the quality and consistency of all pastry products produced and served including the efficiencies, consistency, associate training and accountability of costs associated with the pastry department. The Chef works and reports directly to the Executive Pastry Chef on the creation, development and implementation of new desserts and creative menu development.
The Following are examples only and are not intended to be all inclusive or restrictive; other duties may be assigned as necessary.
- Demonstrates hands on approach to all bakery products produced in the pastry department insuring quality, presentation and consistency standards meet company standards.
- Daily preparation of all baked goods and pastries.
- Oversight of the Gourmet Donut Operation
- Mixes, forms, and fires dough to produce doughnuts.
- Dumps prepared doughnut mix into mixing-machine bowl
- Turns switch on heating unit of frying tank to set thermostat at specified temperature.
- Turns doughnuts over in tank, using stick.
- May glaze doughnuts, using hand dipper.
- May roll dough with rolling pin and form doughnuts.
- May weigh cut dough fried doughnuts to verify weight specifications, and adjust controls of equipment accordingly when weights vary from standards.
- Sets up, maintains and breaks down stations.
- Maintains accurate counts on all food items prepared insuring no discrepancies in amount of food needed verse amount of food prepared.
- Assist with the development of standardized recipes for all menu items. Ensures that recipes are accurate and updated as needed.
- Maintains professional appearance at all times.
- Ensures that all food products prepared meet the established specifications and standards.
- Ensures proper levels of bakery and pastry items are prepared based on forecasted needs and their prompt delivery to the designated outlet for customer consumption.
- With a “Hands on Approach” assigns tasks effectively for the efficient use of allocated labor ensuring maximum results are achieved and daily production needs have been met in a timely, organized and efficient manner.
- Responsible for set up, cleanliness and organization of the Pastry Department and bakery areas.
- Seeks to maintain knowledge of industry trends in the world of pastry and baking.
- Ability to glaze and be creative when decorating gourmet doughnuts
- Baking fresh pastries, desserts and breads.
- Recommends measures to improve production/service methods, equipment performance, scheduling, quality control, and suggest in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency and safety of the food service operation.
- Summits ideas for future goals, operational improvements, and personal management to Executive Pastry Chef.
- Communicates variances from standards and expectations to the Executive Chef, Pastry Chefs, Utility, and other staff. Maintains awareness of all changes and conveys the correct information to the next shift.
- Ensures that sanitary, neat, clean, organized, safe, comfortable environment for employees and customers is maintained at all times.
- Utilizes leftovers whenever possible.
- Ensures that kitchen equipment is clean and in working order, reports and prepares work orders for required repairs. Ensures that all equipment is handled safely and with reasonable care.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactory.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Fully competent in all aspects of baking and pastry.
- Ability to define a problem, collects data, establishes facts forms conclusions. Ability to understand complex instructions and material. Ability to mentally process abstract ideas while delivering results.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work well in environments with time constraints.
- Responsible for making sure that costs are kept within the budget set forth by the Executive Pastry Chef.
- Ability to creating new deserts that will also pair well with existing items.
- Must be able to provide authorization to work in the United States.
- High School Diploma or GED required. Associates Degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year College or technical school or combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of three years progressive experience in the Bakery Department with a Bakery, Hotel, Resort, Casino, or Restaurant Operation.
- Two years as Pastry Chef in a high volume, multi-outlet hotel, restaurant or casino with a centralized pastry production kitchen.
- Previous work in all decorative medias such as sugar and pastry.
- Two plus years prior pastry management experience.
- ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification and Certified ServSafe Instructor & Registered ServSafe Examination Proctor (Not Required but preferred)
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, decimals and work with mathematical such as probability and inference.
Proficiency with English, Strong oral and written communication skills. Spanish or Other language skills a plus.
The Physical and work environments described here are representative of those that must be met and are encountered by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, bend for extended periods; reach with hands and arms; talk and listen on a regular basis. Specific vision abilities include the ability to adjust vision.
Ability to work for extended periods in an kitchen under artificial fluorescent lighting with varying noise levels and in a smoke filled environment.
Must be able to perform under pressure, concentrate for a prolonged periods and able to work long hours under stressful conditions.
The employee may be exposed to the risks associated in attempting to resolve issues with difficult customers and extremely irate staff members.
Not a Supervisory Position
Role: Pastry Chef / Donut Maker
Apply for this job now.