Company: PIPER AIRCRAFT, INC.
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
Assist in performing a variety of duties within an engineering prototype environment. Follow engineering work orders to perform the following: fabricate, structurally assemble, and install aircraft component parts. Work performed can be of a prototype or conformity article in nature, and in accordance with sketches and sealed drawing lists respectively. Assist in the setup/or repair of aircraft engines and systems to prepare aircraft for airworthiness. Interact as necessary with government Agencies during company development programs. Plan, lay out, repair parts and perform limited rework for close fit; any complex and intricate sheet metal assembly and installation work of products on aircraft, utilizing excellent knowledge of assembly methods and techniques, and knowledge of sheet metal properties. Using tools as required to accomplish task assigned. This employee performs diverse and complex lathe operation and mill work with turret lathe, chucking machines to turn, shape, drill, bore, thread, and/or face metal work pieces according to exact specifications. Work independently or with minimal direction from Team Leader.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work from and follow process specifications, work orders, travelers, station paperwork, blueprints, rework/rejection tags, schedules, Aircraft Production Orders, schematics, layout & modifications sheets, engineering orders, Piper Production Spec (PPS), Piper Material Spec (PMS), test pilot's "squawks", Material Review Board, and verbal/written instruction.
- Employee must be constantly aware of both aircraft and personnel movement throughout the entire flight line operation area.
- Provide recommendation to improve methods, equipment performance, and quality of product.
- Perform initial engine set up adjustments: fuel flow, fuel pressure, vacuum, engine idle and RPM limits.
- Set up for static test various wiffle trees, cross beams, cabling, and pull and hoist equipment and during testing, record times, proof loads and instrument readings.
- Assist engine manufacturer representatives in replacing internal and external engine accessories as well as replace and overhaul when necessary.
- Responsible for the aircraft release for flight forms.
- Make structural repairs using principles of sheet metal repair, and perform inspection of aircraft for damage prior to and after flight.
- Prepare aircraft for flight testing into known icing as defined by engineering work order.
- Using principles of flight control systems/surfaces balancing and re-balancing, perform necessary checks and tests as required by work order instructions.
- Perform weight and balance procedures and calculations on both flight test and static test articles.
- Install engineering test equipment such as torque meters, thermal couples, electrical current measurements, strain gages, load banks, calibrated airspeed booms, and engine instrumentation for flight-test results.
- Perform numerous operations/installations on aircraft, i.e. landing gear systems, fire protection systems, fire extinguisher systems; install and maintain pilot-static systems, engine and fuel system gauge installations, vacuum system, aircraft communications systems, cabin pressure, and oxygen systems.
- Install necessary equipment in aircraft required for spin testing.
- Must troubleshoot and perform analysis on aircraft electrical systems, circuit protection, and control devices.
- Servicing of gaseous oxygen systems including oxygen generation systems; perform aircraft fueling, lubrication, and general maintenance.
- Employee must be aware of the special explosive devices utilized in the emergency egress portions of the aircraft.
- Maintain all necessary records, files, and reports.
- Scrutinize every facet of job and report improper operation, faulty equipment, defective materials, and unusual conditions to Team Leader.
- Aid in emergency rescue.
- Perform level weights of aircraft and components.
- Communicate on the radio.
- Using principles of flight control systems/surfaces balancing and re-balancing, assist in necessary checks and tests as required by work order instructions.
- Perform aircraft fueling, lubrication, and general maintenance, and work off squawks.
- Assist in maintaining all necessary records, files, and reports.
- Scrutinize every' facet of job and report improper operation, faulty equipment, defective materials, and unusual conditions to Team Leader.
- Other duties as assigned by Team Leader.
- This job has no Team Leader responsibilities. May be required to give direction, train and assist other employees.
Required Education And Experience:
High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED), 5 years of related experience and training / equivalent combination of education and experience. A&P license required, IA desired. Must be qualified to obtain current aircraft taxi, tow and pre-flight authorization.