Chief Technology Engineer
Looking to have a meaningful impact on the world through cutting-edge cleantech on a global scale? Join LanzaJet, Inc., one of the world's leading clean energy technology companies focused on decarbonizing the transportation sector. LanzaJet produces sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) and sustainable diesel fuel through its patented technology and process. LanzaJet's unique and innovative approach to produce certified, drop-in jet and diesel fuels using sustainably certified ethanol as the feedstock for an ASTM allowed pathway.
LanzaJet's history started 15 years ago in New Zealand when LanzaTech was founded to develop carbon recycling technology. Over that period and by working with the US Department of Energy's Pacific Northwest National Lab, an innovative approach was developed, approved, and scaled to produce low-carbon jet and diesel fuels from ethanol feedstock. This creates localized feedstock solutions across the globe by leveraging waste sources as the commodity for ethanol production.
The launch of LanzaJet, with financial contributions from our investors Suncor Energy, Mitsui, LanzaTech, and support from ANA, has set the stage for the accelerated commercialization of LanzaJet's proprietary sustainable fuels technology. LanzaJet's first commercial-scale refinery in Georgia, partially supported by US Department of Energy funding through LanzaTech, is in the final design, with production planned to start in 2022. LanzaJet's first commercial-scale refinery in Georgia is in the final design, with production planned to start in 2022. Three additional commercial-scale low-carbon fuel refineries are planned by 2025, creating a cumulative production of 100 million gallons of low-carbon jet and diesel fuels - a nearly 10x increase to the amount of sustainable aviation fuel available in the market today. LanzaJet is partnering with companies worldwide to strategically advance the deployment of its technology in Asia, the Americas, Europe, and the Middle East.
Join a fast-growing, innovative company with a global and long-lasting impact by sustainably fueling the future!
LanzaJet has an immediate need for a Chief Technology Engineer to join our growing technology team in our Chicagoland area location and support the upcoming alcohol to jet (ATJ) production plants. The Chief Technology Engineer at LanzaJet will be accountable for the overall technology directions for ATJ technology including intellectual property strategies, innovative approaches for catalysis and engineering designs, validity and integrity of the engineering models, R&D coordination, representation at key aviation and fuel technical organizations and ethanol and product specifications. In addition, the Chief Technology Engineer will function as the recognized senior technology authority with existing and potential clients, investors, partners, and suppliers.
This role reporting to the VP of Technology will serve as the technology thought leaders for all aspects of the multidisciplinary alcohol to jet technology package for LanzaJet. The ideal Chief Technology Engineer candidate will possess in-depth technical, innovation and leadership skills utilized in an industrial refining or petrochemical setting. During their career they will have elucidated matters of process engineering, catalysis, adsorption, materials characterization, analytics, and metallurgy demonstrating a track record of solving problems in petroleum refining, petrochemicals, and renewables. They will have experience in writing successful technical proposals for funding and investment, project management, R&D strategy development and mentoring university collaborative projects with a track record of bridging the gap between fundamental science and commercial practice. The Chief Technology Engineer will also serve as a technical mentor for LanzaJet employees including those at commercial sites, and in engineering, business development, support roles and senior leadership, ensuring documentation for all available current technology designs and historical information is maintained and accessible.
Duties and Responsibilities.
- Thoroughly understand and document the key advantages and limitations of LanzaJet's processes and develop alternative solutions.
- Lead efforts to establish technology improvement and risk registers for all LanzaJet's technology offerings for both technology and IP.
- Lead new technology innovation efforts and serve as technical resource for LanzaJet IP
- Ensure strategies for appropriate technical representation at key aviation and fuel organizations
- Continue to establish LanzaJet as a leader of technology thru participation in technical seminars and publications for the technical community
- Maintain technical aspects for market and competitive intelligence database
- Research, document and lead new development opportunities
- Prepare training and presentation materials using internal and external subject matter experts
- Act as a technical resource and mentor to support all of LanzaJet
- Ensure historical design information and process experience is maintained and accessible to LanzaJet's technical community.
- Identify and lead efforts to close technical gaps in LanzaJet's process design offerings.
- Lead technical efforts to expand LanzaJet intellectual property portfolio.
- Implement and enforce engineering functional excellence in people, processes, tools, and practices; drive productivity improvements and share best practices and lessons learned throughout the technology group
- Ensure the technology fundamentals are incorporated in multidisciplinary technology aspects including catalysis, adsorption
- Encourage innovation while managing risk.
Education and Experience
- PhD in Chemical Engineering
- Minimum 20 years of industry experience in refining or chemicals
- Demonstrated experience in scale up of technology to commercial scale
- Ability to gather and analyze experimental data and translate in actionable technology
- Ability to implement engineering and scientific concepts into functional process designs, as well as troubleshoot operating units and develop sound engineering solutions
- Ability to communicate complex technical information internal and external groups with varying experience and aptitude
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a team environment. Position requires providing and receiving information to and from many individuals within LanzaJet's organization.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and managing groups accountable for delivering engineering in an international context.
- Proficiency in various computer program applications (Process simulation, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) is required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated patenting and publishing experience
Powered by JazzHR