The Law Offices of Joseph A. Romano, P.C. is seeking Paralegals with experience in the field of Workers’ Compensation for our Manhattan, N.Y. office.
As a paralegal you are to communicate with clients, insurance carriers, doctor offices, draft documents, review files and assist attorneys who practice in this area. You are expected to be able to initiate work for yourself and others and be accountable for the tasks and responsibility that are both outlined to you and implied with the position. Work is performed with latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and actions. Assignments require thorough knowledge of the workers' compensation administrative process.
- Organize correspondence with attorneys and doctors.
- Drafts and files discovery and correspondence.
- Prepares cases for hearings by organizing files, interviewing and subpoenaing witnesses, and preparing exhibits.
- Attends & assists attorney(s) with hearings & client meetings.
- Handling claims from inception through resolution.
- Extensive contact with clients, attorney(s), insurance adjustors, and medical providers.
- Opening new files.
- Gathering and analyzing intake information and relevant documents.
- Fully investigating each case.
- Maintaining contact with clients on regular basis.
- Preparing documents and correspondence.
- Collecting documentation of all damages sustained such as medical records, bills, and loss of income.
- Reading and interpreting medical records and reports.
- Organizing and maintaining case files.
- Have strong work ethic and be able to work well in a fast pace environment; have great people skills as the position requires a great deal of client contact; be able to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines; have exceptional communication and written skills; have computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Word and legal software.
- Must have ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, with the public, attorney(s), court officials, and clients.
- Ability to operate Microsoft Office software programs and familiarity with records management systems.
- Must have knowledge of concepts, terminology and procedures of workers' compensation functions, jurisdictions of local and state courts, and administrative bodies.
- Continuously assisting attorney(s) with keeping their cases well-organized.
- Frequent communication with clients to relay information about cases & scheduling important events.
- Ability to multi-task required while maintaining attention to detail and accuracy and meet deadlines.
- Time management, professional communication, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Outstanding typing, proofreading, and familiarity with legal forms.
- Some litigation experience in a law firm setting.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word & legal software.
- Occasional overtime may be required when attorney(s) are preparing for court.
Physical Demands & Work Environnment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, listen, bend, have finger, hand, and arm dexterity.
- Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and fax machines. We are a paperless work environment utilizing E-fax, Nextiva Applications, the Microsoft Office Suite package, & Pro Law legal database software.
The Law Offices of Joseph A. Romano, P.C. offers equal opportunities to all persons without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, age, gender, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, domestic violence victim status, predisposing genetic characteristics or genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation/modification for the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability to assist in the hiring process, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. Applicants who require reasonable accommodation during the application process may contact Human Resources at 646-517-2084.
Who We Are:
Since 1989, we have represented injured clients in the Bronx and communities throughout New York’s five boroughs. Whether you were injured on the job or developed a disability that prevents you from working, our law firm can help. The staff of dedicated professionals at Law Offices of Joseph A. Romano, P,C. will thoroughly investigate your condition and present your case in the best, most comprehensive manner possible.
Role: Paralegal Workers Compensation
Location: Mount Vernon,
Apply for this job now.