The Environmental Compliance Technician assists in field environmental quality assurance and compliance issues at the SWACO landfill and at various SWACO sites. This position operates the gas collection and control system, leachate collection system, ground water collection system, and surface water conveyance system. This role also interacts with the landfill operators to assist in environmental sampling and inspection to identify and report deficiencies that may affect SWACO's permits and relays compliance issues to the Operations staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Implement environmental policies and compliance procedures applicable to SWACO facilities.
- Calibrate and maintain test equipment daily, and schedule required calibration / maintenance as necessary.
- Monitor sample points such as wells and probes, and record data electronically.
- Repair and/or modify gas collection and leachate lines, pumps, and associated equipment as directed.
- Coordinate repairs and modifications necessary to maintain and operate the landfill gas and leachate collection systems.
- Sample and log ground water, surface water, and leachate samples at all SWACO facilities.
- Perform well gauging and bailing of groundwater wells.
- Calibrate turbidity meters, pH meters, and other equipment as required by policy.
- Utilize GPS to check grades, references, and points of pipe installation.
- Recommend equipment and parts purchases.
- Act as liaison to managers to advise of job status and/or delays.
- Operate and maintain the landfill gas collection system on a timely basis in order to achieve performance standards.
- Conduct landfill gas field tests using portable instrumentation such as GEM 2000/5000, Elkins Envision, FID's, LEL meters, and water level meters.
- Perform periodic maintenance checks on all of SWACO's explosive gas monitoring systems, including gas probes and methane monitors, and assists in the preparation of reports to regulatory authorities.
- Repair and/or modify wells, wellheads, collection lines, condensate traps, migration probes, vaults, flares, leachate lines, pumps, and associated equipment as directed.
- Adjust landfill gas flow rates from wells, as necessary, to minimize gas emissions from the field and optimize flow to the high BTU facility.
- Maintain a gas collection field log in various electronic forms to manage the project and resources effectively including production and quality deliverables.
- Fabricate repairs and install modifications to the landfill gas collection system.
- Weld and fabricate High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) pipes.
- Perform maintenance inspections on all enclosed air systems, including gas probes, gas extraction wells, and force main.
- Obtain daily readings at the flare, lift stations, and pump stations.
- Troubleshoot and repair affected monitoring and pumping systems.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or GED required
- Experience with landfill gas collection or environmental sampling or monitoring.
- College classes in environmental health and safety or related field preferred.
SWACO programs help to create strong and resilient communities by making neighborhoods safer, more sustainable places to live, work and raise a family. We create jobs, spur innovation and help businesses and residents save money. We provide sustainability and environmentally-centered education to children. We protect the land, water and air we breathe by responsibly planning for and delivering critical waste disposal services. Above all, we promote recycling, composting and other waste diversion and reduction efforts.
Role: Landfill Gas Technician - Environmental Compliance
Location: Grove City,
Apply for this job now.