As a paralegal you are to communicate with clients, insurance carriers, doctor offices, draft documents, review files and assist attorneys who practice in this area. You are expected to be able to initiate work for yourself and others and be accountable for the tasks and responsibility that are both outlined to you and implied with the position. Work is performed with latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and actions. Assignments require thorough knowledge of the workers' compensation administrative process.
- Correspond with attorneys, doctors, insurance carriers and clients.
- Prepares cases for hearings by reviewing files, obtaining documents, communicating with clients and Attorneys and insurance carriers.
- Assists and potential attend attorney's client meetings.
- Handling claims from inception through resolution.
- Extensive contact with clients, attorneys, insurance carriers, medical providers and the NYS Workers Compensation Board.
- Gathering and analyzing information relevant to the case.
- Extensive review of each case.
- Maintaining contact with clients on a consistent basis.
- Preparing documents and correspondence to be sent to carriers, NYS workers' compensation board, doctor's office or client.
- Obtaining documentation from the injured worker such as medical records, bills, & wage information
- Scheduling client appointments and assist with walk in prospects
- Requesting hearings to address outstanding issues.
- Reading and understanding medical records and reports.
- Organizing and maintaining case files.
- Have strong work ethic and be able to work well in a fast pace environment; have great people skills as the position requires a great deal of client contact; be able to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines; have exceptional communication and written skills; have computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Word and legal software.
- Must have ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, with insurance carriers, attorneys, and clients.
- Ability to operate Microsoft Office software programs and familiarity with records management systems
- Have knowledge of concepts, terminology and procedures of workers' compensation functions, jurisdictions and administrative bodies, & familiarity with WCB forms.
- Continuously assisting attorneys in keeping cases well-organized and current.
- Frequent communication with clients to provide case information and updates
- Ability to multi-task required while maintaining attention to detail and accuracy and meet deadlines.
- Time management, professional communication, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently within team based structure.
- Outstanding proofreading.
- 1 year of experience in a law firm setting.
- Computer and text savvy.
- Ability to follow and take direction.
- Maintain focus and concentration throughout the day.
- Work a full time shift of 35 hours a week.
- Bachelors degree preferred and at least 1 year of experience in a law firm environment.
Physical Demands & Work Environnment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, listen, bend, have finger, hand, and arm dexterity.
- Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and fax machines. We are a paperless work environment utilizing E-fax, Nextiva Applications, the Microsoft Office Suite package, & Pro Law legal database software.
The Law Offices of Joseph A. Romano, P.C. offers equal opportunities to all persons without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, age, gender, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, domestic violence victim status, predisposing genetic characteristics or genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation/modification for the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability to assist in the hiring process, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. Applicants who require reasonable accommodation during the application process may contact Human Resources at 646-517-2084.
THIS POSITION IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.
Who We Are:
Since 1989, we have represented injured clients in the Bronx and communities throughout New York's five boroughs. Whether you were injured on the job or developed a disability that prevents you from working, our law firm can help. The staff of dedicated professionals at Law Offices of Joseph A. Romano, P,C. will thoroughly investigate your condition and present your case in the best, most comprehensive manner possible.
Role: Paralegal Workers Compensation
Apply for this job now.