Buchanan’s Native Plants is looking for a leader for our Tropicals department. The ideal candidate is an experienced gardener and knows the Houston climate and what works for the climate. Excellent customer service and leadership skills are a must.
- Greet all of our customers with a smile and make them feel welcome!
- Sell and promote your department’s products and related goods.
- Assists with various administrative tasks such as general office paperwork
- Communicate with clients on a regular basis
- Determine the right product placement/end caps, pricing and inventory levels.
- Buy the right product mix and strive to increase sales/margins over last year’s actual sales. Work with and collaborate with other SALs to cross-sell and cross-buy. Communicate what you want to buy from vendors ahead of the time to ensure availability.
- Accepts shipments and maintains an inventory log of materials
- Ensure your new hires are thoroughly oriented in their new job. Train your staff in selling techniques, product knowledge and garden center policies.
- Schedule, supervise and coordinate daily employee activities for maximum productivity.
- Participate in creating effective advertising and promotions.
- Communicate key information and/or decisions with employees and management. When a decision has been made, accurately communicate it and ensure it is understood and supported.
- Be proactive in addressing/resolving all BNP work issues with Garden Center Managers.
- Complies with all company policies and procedures and safety requirements.
- High school degree or equivalent
- Strong administrative and clerical skills
- Proficient in Excel
- Previous experience working in a nursery or garden center
- Must be available weekends
- Full-time Position
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Employer paid Life Insurance, LTD, and AD&D
- Paid Time-off after 1 year of service
Buchanan’s Native Plants has been serving Houston gardeners since 1986. Located in the historic Houston Heights, Buchanan’s is where you will find the best selection of hardy native and adapted plants, including perennials, herbs, annuals, vegetables, trees, shrubs & roses — all suited to the Houston climate. We are dedicated to organic gardening and recommend our natural soils, amendments and garden remedies to our customers.
Role: Department Supervisor / Buyer - Tropicals
Apply for this job now.