Senior Carbon AdvisorCompany Information
VolkerRail is an established and experienced railway infrastructure contractor. We have a successful track record of delivering projects across the whole of the UK; working with Network Rail, London Underground as well as light rail and tram operating companies to enhance the national infrastructure.
As one of the UKs oldest railway contractors, with a history dating back over 70 years, we are passionate about the preservation and development of the railways. Our years of experience and continued company growth have earned us a reputation within the industry for high performance and innovation, and as a company focussed on timely and efficient delivery.Job Summary
A unique opportunity has arisen to help shape and deliver VolkerRail's carbon policies, strategies and programmes to support the delivery of our Net Zero Carbon goal. The role is in VolkerRail's Corporate HSQES Function based in Doncaster, and will work collaboratively with colleagues across all functions, operational delivery teams, and with our parent company VolkerWessels UK.
Reporting to the Head of Environment & Sustainability, role specific responsibilities include:
• To act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for carbon management and reduction, providing specialist technical support to the business. This shall include identifying changing regulatory or stakeholder requirements, assessing their impact, and developing implementation plans for internal consultation and adoption.
• Actively participate in internal, VolkerWessels UK, client and sector level working groups to help shape our response to climate change (reduction and adaptation).
• Integrating the requirements of PAS 2080 Carbon Management in Infrastructure within the IMS and support an accreditation application and on-going maintenance.
• Ensuring the completeness and accuracy of VolkerRail's carbon reporting processes, undertaking internal data verification audits and work collaboratively with data owners across the business to address gaps, improve quality and granularity of carbon data reporting.
• Support the Head of Environment & Sustainability to determine carbon reduction targets, including Science Based Target, Net Zero Target and further interim internal targets; monitor and report progress towards achieving them.
• Develop and maintain a Carbon Reduction Plan covering VolkerRail's operational reporting boundary, incorporating supporting processes such as carbon reduction registers, carbon reduction bridges, safety validation etc.
• Research, promote and encourage low carbon solutions to the relevant design, commercial and construction teams; seeking to facilitate trials and document their outcomes through case studies.
• Working in collaboration with the Bid Team, determine contract specific requirements and draft written deliverables for energy and carbon elements of tenders.
• Undertake project carbon assessments to identify and record opportunities for the reduction of whole life carbon emissions through the project lifecycle, utilising proprietary tools in line with changing sector and client expectations. Act as administrator for carbon tools adopted to ensure the long-term integrity and access to project data.
• Conduct carbon reduction workshops to identify opportunities for reducing carbon through design and construction methods; documenting, prioritising and managing arising opportunities and tracking through to adoption.
• Provide technical support to the relevant design CREs undertaking Weather Resilience and Climate Change Impact Assessments.
• Identify gaps in the energy and carbon aspects of competence profiles, develop resources and forecast budget requirements to address them across all disciplines and organisational levels as required. Support the delivery of carbon training and competence development.Job Requirements
The candidate will need the following qualities to deliver this role effectively:
• Passionate about reducing personal and private sector contributions to global warming
• Advanced analytical skills with the ability to identify, develop and implement carbon reductions through a structured change management process
• Enquiring and innovative to seek out and engage the business with technological advancements for low carbon engineering
• Leadership qualities to embed a low carbon culture
The candidate will have a degree in sciences, engineering or a related discipline and be a full member of their respective professional institute i.e. IEMA.
They will also have the following experience:
- Extensive experience in a Corporate Responsibility or Sustainability role, ideally developing and delivering carbon management policies and procedures.- Working knowledge of carbon accounting and management guidelines e.g. GHG Protocol, ISO 14064, PAS2080, SBTi- Proficient in the use of carbon assessment tools e.g. RSSB Rail Carbon Tool, eTool- Experienced in delivering low carbon reduction strategies at a corporate and/or project level
VolkerRail Group offers a competitive salary and attractive benefits that includes pension, performance related pay, volunteering leave and other benefits commensurate to your skills and experience.Committed to equality of opportunity and diversity.