Spencer Clarke Group are working closely alongsideStroud District Council to provide them a with a Principal Accountant to join their team on a Contract Basis.
To provide high quality, proactive and efficient financial advice to all of the council's services
Take a lead role in providing, developing and maintaining financial management and accounting services to all the council's services, including the Housing Revenue Account;
- Analyse, interpret and communicate financial and other information to influence and enable managers to make effective business decisions;
- Regular budget monitoring and reporting variances to Senior Management, Committees and other forums as required;
- Preparation of the annual budget and Medium Term Financial Plan and presentation of budget to Committee, Council and other forums as required;
- Advise on the rent setting options and calculate annual rents for all housing stock;
- Assist in the preparation of the council's Statement of Accounts, including the Housing Revenue Account final accounts, in accordance with the SORP, the working papers for External Audit and reporting to the Audit and Standards Committee and other forums as required;
- Provide accountancy and finance support to strategic projects;
- Manage the completion of all statistical returns promptly as required;
- Lead and develop the Budget Team
- Attendance at Committee and other meetings to give financial advice;
- Advise Senior Officers and Council Members of changes to legislation and the impact on the finances of the Council;
- To support the Accountancy Manager, deputising where necessary;
- Work subject to deadlines involving changing problems, circumstances or demand.
- A recognised CCAB (or equivalent) accountancy qualification.
- A good knowledge of accounting codes of practice.
- Proven experience in the production of Annual Statement of Accounts for a key service area or complex organisation
- Proven experience in the production of budgets, financial projections and management accounts
- Proven experience of advising senior managers, members and budget holders on financial issues.
- People management experience (including leading, motivating, directing, inspiring and developing others).
- An understanding of administrative processes and systems necessary to fulfil legal requirements.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to manage complex individual and team workloads.
- Experience of reporting and presenting to a wide range of stakeholders including Senior Management, customers and people with a non financial background.
- Ability to work in a politically sensitive environment
- Ability to undertake work of a complex nature which requires advanced/high level knowledge and skills in a specialist discipline.
If you wish to be put forward for this role, please apply and contact Matt Byrne-Fraser @ Spencer Clarke group - #removed#
WHY SPENCER CLARKE?!
Here at Spencer Clarke Group we provide workers with their own dedicated and experience consultant who provide extensive market knowledge!
- Access to a wide range of temporary and permanent opportunities
- Market leading referrals of up to £500
- Free DBS checks
- Post Placement Aftercare
- Loyalty reward scheme and regular competitions for our agency workers