The County of Volusia is seeking Firefighters for the Division of Fire Rescue. This position will be responsible for suppressing, extinguishing and preventing fires; protecting life and property; delivery of emergency medical and rescue services; and in maintaining division equipment and facilities.
Firefighter Level B Annual Pay Range: $37,042.30 - $58,546.52
The approximate first year earning is $43,610.56 for Level B Firefighter/EMT and $50,022.56 for level B Firefighter/Paramedic, which includes built in overtime, holiday pay and uniform cleaning allowance.
Firefighter Level C Annual Pay Range: $38,956.23 - 62,399.37
One (1) year paid career firefighting experience or three (3) years volunteer firefighting experience. The approximate first year earning is $45,837.13 for Level C Firefighter/EMT and $52,249.13 for Level C Firefighter/Paramedic, which includes built in overtime, holiday pay and uniform cleaning allowance.
NOTE: The County offers an additional pay grade incentive based on meeting educational guidelines after successful completion of two years of service with Volusia County Fire Rescue.
mployees hired on or after October 1, 2013, as a condition of employment, new hires will be required to have an Associate degree or obtain one within 48 months of hire.
Firefighter Level B: State of Florida Firefighter Certification and Emergency Medical Technician or Paramedic Certification.
Firefighter Level C: Level B requirements and one (1) year paid career firefighting experience or three (3) years volunteer firefighting experience.
Must possess and maintain:
- State of Florida Certificate of Compliance from Bureau of Standards and Training (*Must Attach)
- Florida EMT license or Florida Paramedic license. (*Must Attach)
- A valid State of Florida driver's license.(*Must Attach)
- Proof of completion of an approved Emergency Vehicle Operator Course (EVOC) in accordance with Florida Statutes. (*Must Attach)
*If you do not attach the required documents to your application, your application will be deemed incomplete and you will not be able to continue in the application process.
Having met the minimum requirements, the preferred candidate will have a Florida Paramedic Certificate, OR be a Current Volusia County Employee, OR a current and active Volusia County Fire Rescue Volunteer, OR possess an Associate Degree.
If assigned to the Airport
- Completion of a forty (40) hour Airport Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) course covering the concepts of the current published edition of the International Fire Service Training Association (IFSTA) Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting or equivalent is required.
Exclusions, Pre-Employment and Structural Firefighter Agility Test
- Must not be excluded from participating as a health care provider in insurance programs including, but not limited to, Medicare and Medicaid prior to and during employment at the County of Volusia.
- Must successfully pass medical physical examination including drug screening and physical ability test.
- Successful completion of the Structural Firefighter Agility Test is required each year of employment.
- All employees covered hereunder hired on or after October 1, 1989, shall be non-tobacco users at the time of hire as a condition of employment and shall be required, as an absolute condition of continued employment, to refrain from smoking cigarettes, cigars, pipes, or use of any type of tobacco products of any kind at all times, whether on or off duty.
- Selected individuals for this position will serve a one (1) year probation per the Merit Rules and Regulations.
There will be three (3) phases during this selection process, which are listed below.
Phase I: Written Examination: This is a Pass/Fail phase. This phase will account for 25% of the overall score.
- Applicants must score 70% or better in order to move on to the Phase II, the Structural Firefighter Agility Test
- Candidates will have two (2) hours to take a ninety (90) question written exam.
Date: Thursday, November 15, 2018
Phase II: VCFS Structural Firefighter Agility Test: This is a Pass/Fail phase.
- Candidates must complete the Structural Firefighter Agility Test in 7 minutes, 45 seconds or less.
- Applicants must pass the Phase II in order to move on to Phase III, Assessments/Interviews.
NOTE: Successful completion of the Structural Firefighter Agility Test is required each year of employment.
Date: Thursday, December 6, 2018 and Friday, December 7, 2018. (dates are subject to change based on number of candidates to be tested)
Phase III: This phase will consist of Fire Assessment, EMS skill assessment, and interview.
- Firefighting Assessment: (25% of the overall score)
Candidates will complete firefighting tasks.
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Assessment: (25% of the overall score)
Candidates will complete EMS tasks.
- Interview Process: (25% of the overall score)
This is the structured interview portion of the process, which will consist of a specific number of questions asked by an interview panel to each candidate.
Date: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, Wednesday, December 19, 2018, and Thursday, December 20, 2018. (dates are subject to change based on number of candidates to be tested)
- The scoring will be a combination of the overall score based on a 100 percentile.
- To be placed on the candidate eligibility list for this hiring process, an overall score of 70% is required. Selection will be based upon the "Rule of Five".
**Two lists will be created one for Firefighters with a Florida Paramedic Certificate and one for Firefighters with a Florida EMT Certificate. The division will use the "Rule of Five" for each eligibility list and choose which list depending on the operational need of the division.
- Veteran's preference points in both open competitive and promotional examinations shall be granted as provided by federal and state law (Sec. 295.07 F.S. and Chap. 55A-7 F.A C.). Applicants claiming veteran's preference must submit their Documentation substantiating your claim (e.g. DD214 form showing your dates of active service and character of discharge and/or letter establishing eligibility to receive disability compensation from the Department of Defense or equivalent certification) must be furnished at the time of application.
How To Apply
- Applications are accepted online only at #removed#/personnel. All applicants must submit a "COMPLETE" an UP-TO-DATE online Volusia County application to the County Human Resources Division on or before the close of business day at 11:59 PM, (October 15, 2018). Applicants should list all work experience that supports their belief that they possess the "knowledge, skills and abilities" to perform the duties of the position announced herein. Any supporting documents may be attached to the online application. Copies of required certifications/licenses must be attached to the application and submitted at time of application. Human Resources is located at 230 N. Woodland Boulevard, Suite 262, DeLand, FL 32720.
Other General Instructions/Cautions
- Falsification of any part of the "Application for Employment" will result in disqualification and the applicant being declared ineligible for further examination and/or promotional consideration.
- Applications received that do not fully comply with instructions contained herein and on the application, may cause the application to be rejected, and the applicant being declared ineligible for further examination and/or employment consideration. (All information on the application must be completed properly, including information in the "Work Experience with Duties" section). Candidates must indicate separately, each position they have held with the appropriate duties and time periods for each position in the work experience section of the application. Applications that combine all positions held in the organization into one will be considered incomplete and will not continue into the Firefighter selection process. Only those applicants referred to the Volusia County Fire Rescue by the Volusia County Human Resources Division will be determined eligible for employment consideration.
Our mission is to be a community rich with resources and opportunities today and for generations to come. We envision in providing responsive and fiscally responsible services for the health, and quality of life for our citizens.
Today, more than 500,000 people call Volusia County home. Situated on the east coast of Central Florida; our county consists of 1,207 square miles; with an elevation that begins at sea level and rises to a high elevation of 110 feet. We have 47 miles of Atlantic Ocean beaches that are a world-class playground, with beachfront cities including Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach and New Smyrna Beach.
Our institutions of higher learning -- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Stetson University, Bethune-Cookman University, Daytona State College and the University of Central Florida -- have a national reputation for excellence.
The racing tradition continues today at Daytona International Speedway, one of the world's finest racing facilities and the home of the world-famous Daytona 500, an event larger than the Super Bowl.
Role: Firefighter - Fire Rescue
Location: Daytona Beach,
Apply for this job now.