No restraints. No limitations. We don’t simply push boundaries. We completely rethink them. McLaren Automotive exists to create breath-taking performance road cars.
With innovation at the core of all we do, every challenge starts with the same question. How can we do it better? This restless spirit runs right through McLaren Automotive. And the search for perfection is evident in everything we do.
Purpose of Role
You will be responsible for the structural development of our road cars using a combination of CAE tools to both verify designs and validate end products against programme targets. Working within MSO you will also have the opportunity to work on other areas of CAE strengthening our in-house capability to deliver RFT designs that meet our targets.
- Programme lead for structural engineering topic from specification to programme sign-off, meeting programme attribute and timing targets
- Advise on design direction from both technical experience and CAE modelling
- Contribute to Attribute, Styling, and Design reviews to ensure project targets are meet
- Assist in defining attribute DVP and where appropriate help in the delivery of validation tests.
- Deliver CAE reports where required for validation
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- First-rate Mechanical Engineering degree (1st, 2:1)
- Desirable PhD in the field of mechanical engineering
- Strong understanding in structural/kinematic fundamentals
- Working knowledge of Altair HyperWorks software
- Creativity and ability to develop ideas from first principles
- Experience in real world physical testing to calibrate simulations
- Experience in material testing
- Expert knowledge of the FEA technique
- Relevant Automotive experience of high-end or niche vehicles
- Foremost a technically strong engineer able to deal with the broad range of areas MSO work on
- Independent and intrinsically self-motivated.
- Ability to communicate technical ideas clearly to a wide range of audiences
- Technically astute and works to maintain working knowledge
- Delivery focused, with a record of on-time delivery
- Drive solutions and encourage development in others