The Assistant Manager works collaboratively with Store Manager and other associates to run a successful store. The Assistant Manager needs to be an effective Manager on Duty in the Store Manager's absence. The primary difference in Assistant Manager and the Store Manager responsibilities is one of scope. While a Store Manager is responsible for all aspects of a store's performance, the Assistant Manager typically has a narrower focus in his role helping the Store Manager. An Assistant Manager must have experience in the merchandising and operational aspects of the store. They must be knowledgeable of the local market, customer base, seasonality issues, competition, and other specifics and peculiarities of the local market that may influence the business. An Assistant Manager must demonstrate excellent customer service. The Assistant Manager helps the Store Manager promote R.P. Lumber Co.'s culture and values to all employees, and helps ensure that the entire store operates according to R.P. Lumber Co.'s policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform all sales counter functions, point-of-sale (register) functions, and store administrative functions as need requires.
- Lead by example in providing exceptional customer service personally.
- Train and motivate the store employees to provide exceptional customer service.
- Cultivate very satisfied customers who are treated according to R.P. Lumber Co.'s operating philosophy and profit objectives.
- Respond immediately to any customer complaints and resolve them quickly.
- Keep the retail sales floor properly merchandised by implementing local and company directives such as key assortments, plan-o-grams, seasonal items, promotional displays, pricing updates, and end caps.
- Organize personnel and internal processes to ensure that customer deliveries are properly loaded and are delivered on time, on-grade, and complete.
- Manage and motivate contractor salesmen to aggressively prospect for new sales and customers while remaining highly attentive to the ongoing needs of the existing customer base.
Budgets & Payroll
- Assist the Store Manager in driving store sales and profit to exceed budget.
- Control costs and schedule payroll in a manner consistent with R.P. Lumber Co. objectives for labor productivity and customer service.
- Ensure that all inventory movement (sales, returns, transfers, adjustments) is recorded timely and accurately to help detect and prevent shrinkage.
- Ensure that the store keeps proper amounts of inventory on hand, sufficient to meet customers' needs, but in line with inventory investment goals.
- Ensure that the inventory is maintained in a clean and orderly fashion, consistent with company policy and good business practices.
- Ensure that warehouse and yard personnel accurately receive and properly store merchandise.
Safety & Loss Prevention
- Drive a safety first environment and ensure a safe a secure working environment at all times. Store managers are always the safety role model.
- Possess strong working knowledge of store security measures and advise employees on company-approved methods of preventing loss and promoting safety.
- Ensure all equipment is in good condition and safe (ladders, forklifts, trucks).
- Ensure that inventory is protected against loss and theft (out of rain, lumber flat stacked, secure high theft items).
- Create a team environment throughout the store.
- Assist associates with accessing the Company's ESS Resource Center for information and resources to help them in their job.
- Promote an enjoyable working environment that is conducive to self-motivation, high productivity, and overall morale.
- Promote an open door environment where associates feel free to report problems and offer ideas to management.
- Assist Store Manager in ensuring compliance with company policy and report any unusual occurrences promptly.
- Check email regularly for communications from management and customers and respond timely.
- Contribute to monthly store meetings with the store team to discuss store performance and goals, upcoming promotions and events, problems, and safety.
- Use the Company's ESS Resource Center for access to important information, forms, policies and procedures and to report problems.
- Report problems, obstacles and ideas on how to improve the store's performance, customer service, and operations to your Store Manager.
Coaching & Training
- Provide an enjoyable working environment that is conducive to self-motivation, high productivity, and overall morale.
- Provide immediate feedback on employee performance and implement corrective measures. Help the team succeed. Don't ignore problems.
- Assist Store Manager in developing and mentoring all store and yard employees.
Perform other duties similar to those above as assigned by the Store Manager and/or other qualified corporate or platform representative.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Associate's Degree preferred but not required; or 3 to 5 years of management or supervisory experience in the building material industry or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must demonstrate excellent leadership and problem solving skills, be able to manage with limited supervision, and must have excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Must be detail oriented and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment and be able to work a flexible schedule (typical retail schedule - 50+ hours/week) including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Must have mathematical and general business skills sufficient to understand and interpret data presented in statistical or numerical form and be able to use it effectively in assessing and coordinating the merchandise and operations aspects of store operations.
- Must have strong working knowledge of retail building materials, home improvement and hardware products, and general retail operations including the ability to utilize Point-of-sales and other computer related systems (i.e., Estimating Software, etc.) associated with the building material industry.
- Enthusiasm, high energy and ability to motivate a team.
- Must possess demonstrated ability to manage physical assets and perform physical work, including the ability to bend, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and be able to frequently lift and/or move between 50 - 100 pounds.
- Successful applicants are subject to pre-employment drug testing, pre-employment background check and driver history checks in accordance with applicable federal and state law.
R.P. Lumber Co. offers the following opportunities and benefits (Full-Time employees):
- Competitive Salary plus Commission
- Health / Dental / Vision / Term Life & Short Term Disability Insurance
- Profit Sharing / 401k
- Paid time-off & holidays
- Employee Merchandise Discount
Candidates who meet our selection criteria will be contacted by phone or email for the next step in our hiring process.
Thank you for your interest in our position. We appreciate the time you have taken to apply with us. Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
R.P. Lumber Co., Inc. (“R.P. Lumber Co.) is committed to providing equal opportunity in all employment practices, including but not limited to selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, handicap or disability, citizenship status, service member status, genetic information or any other category protected by federal or state law.