GENERAL MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Reporting to the District Manager, the General Manager will be responsible for overall restaurant operations execution and management of staff, controllable profit plan achievement, guest count growth, and sales building activities. Additional responsibilities include focus on employee selection, retention, continuous operational improvement, and a strong commitment to hospitality and guest satisfaction.
General Managers must have a strong commitment to and exhibit Denny's Guiding Principles when interacting with others.
These are areas of performance in which the General Manager must be successful to meet their accountabilities:
- Guests: Makes sure that all Restaurant Managers and employees put “Guests First” to ensure a respectful and enjoyable environment, satisfied guests, and repeat business.
- People: Attracts, hires, develops, coaches, and retains Restaurant Managers and hourly employees to ensure an engaged, high-performing team. Does so by:
- Working to create and maintain a respectful and enjoyable environment for our employees.
- Recruiting and selecting effectively.
- Using corporate training programs, individual development plans, and work assignments to develop employees' knowledge and skills.
- Providing timely, constructive coaching and feedback.
- Restaurant Operations: Directs restaurant operations to ensure that Denny's Brand Standards for food and facilities are consistently achieved. Does this by:
- Making sure food preparation, handling, and storage guidelines are consistently followed.
- Enforcing sanitary practices for the general cleanliness and maintenance of the restaurant.
- Growth: Drives sales, guest count, and profit for the restaurant by:
- Developing and executing a local store marketing plan.
- Building strategic relationships in the community with civic, business, school, and professional organizations.
- Ensuring timely and quality implementation of all Divisional and National marketing promotions and co-op marketing initiatives.
- Financials: Interprets financial and operational reports and schedules; analyzes data and identifies gaps in operating performance; and develops solutions to ensure that operating goals are achieved.
- Security: Monitors to ensure that proper security procedures are in place to protect guests, employees, and company assets.
- Asset Management: Monitors to ensure that proper cash handling and inventory management procedures are in place to protect and conserve company assets.
- Compliance: Maintains compliance with all Denny's employment policies, as well as state, local, and federal regulations.
- Problem Resolution: Proactively ensures that problems are addressed and resolved (such as customer complaints, employee relations issues, facilities or security issues, etc.). Involves support resources, such as the District Manager or Human Resources Manager, as appropriate.
- Teamwork: Performs other duties as needed or assigned; willingly assists others without being asked.
- Focusing on Guests: Has a "Guests First" mindset. Understands who his/her guests are and is dedicated to exceeding their expectations. Puts guests firsts while balancing the needs and priorities of the business to create win/win solutions.
- Driving for Results: Is "Hungry To Win" for self, team, and Brand. Pushes self and others for results that move the business forward. Can be counted on to meet or exceed goals successfully.
- Working Collaboratively: Values and lives the "Power of We" through words and actions. Works well with all people - guests, franchisees, support employees, supervisors, subordinates, peers, vendors, etc. Is able to build and effectively manage productive relationships. Recognizes individual's contributions and works with and through others to achieve common goals.
- Personal Accountability and Decision Making: Earns the respect and trust of others by taking initiative and honoring commitments. Makes timely, informed decisions and owns outcomes for those decisions. Is open to new and differing perspectives when making a decision. Understands the impact of his/her words and actions and strives to be a positive influence on others.
- Managing Talent: Understands the Denny's family is our most important asset and sees each member of the team as a valuable part of the whole. Surrounds self with the best team and makes tough, yet timely and appropriate, people decisions. Provides effective, timely feedback and coaching. Selects strong, competent candidates and is able to develop strong leaders by providing challenging assignments.
- Leadership Courage: Acts and leads with conviction; stands up for self and team appropriately. Speaks up professionally and promptly to address issues and provide solutions. Gives others direct, timely, and constructive feedback.
- Business Acumen: Knows how the business works and how it relates to the marketplace. Open to innovative ways to achieve solutions to move the business forward. Sees the "big picture"; understands how operational and support functions work together for the growth and success of the business.
- Must be able to lift a tray weighing up to 25 lbs
- Must be able to lift and carry supplies and equipment weighing up to 50 lbs; place items on high and low shelves in office, store rooms, service areas, walk-in coolers, and freezers
- Must be able to bend, stoop, reach, lift, and grasp
- Must be able to hear well in a loud environment to respond to employee and guest needs
- Must meet any state, county, or municipal regulation pertaining to health risk concerns about food handling
- Must be able to operate point-of-sale system and differentiate between monetary denominations
- Must be able to work with all Denny's menu products
- Must be able to work with potentially hazardous chemicals
- Must have sufficient mobility to move and operate in confined work area
- Must be able to work inside and outside the restaurant
- Must be able to observe staff and all aspects of restaurant operations
- Must be able to stand and walk during an 8 to 10 hour shift; occasional shifts in excess of 10 hours may be required due to the demands of the business
- Must be able to tolerate extreme temperature changes in kitchen and freezer areas
- Minimum of 3 years experience in restaurant, hospitality, or retail management; additional operations and/or leadership experience strongly preferred
- Associate's or Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Food Safety Manager certification required
- Strong organizational skills with excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in the English language
- Possesses basic math skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide)
- Places a value on diversity and shows respect for others
- Proven ability to problem solve and handle high stress situations
- Interprets financial statements and understands contributing factors
- Identifies and anticipates opportunities for improvement and implements corrective action steps
- Must be able to perform job duties of every position
- Must be prepared to multitask in accordance with the demands of the business
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, evenings, and additional shifts as needed
- Available to travel, to include occasional overnight and airline travel when applicable
- Licensed to operate an automobile without hours of operations restrictions
- Has reliable transportation in order to meet banking obligations
Denny's Guiding Principles
- Guests First
- Embrace Openness
- Proud of Our Heritage
- Hungry to Win
- The Power of We
They're more than just customers or consumers. They are our guests and we invite them into our homes with open arms. They are the very reason why we are in business and the center of everything we do.
Open means so much more than just being open for business 24/7. It means being open to all people, appetites and budgets. It says we are open-minded and open to new ideas. Honest, warm and inviting. Open is the way we think and act every hour of every day.
We are the classic American diner and proud of everything that means. Since 1953, we have served quality food and healthy portions at a fair price. No matter where we are, our light is always on inviting guests around the world to a place where everyone is welcome.
At Denny's, we are constantly looking ahead. We are always moving, striving for more, hungry for greatness. We are open to fresh, innovative thinking. We believe we will succeed through teamwork, accountability and pushing the boundaries of ourselves and our Brand.
Our Denny's family is our most important asset. We trust, support and respect each other and work together for the greater good. We recognize the contributions of all and empower each and every one of us to achieve great things. Together, we will celebrate our successes and have fun doing it.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employees assigned to this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or tasks which may be required to be performed in this position.
Denny's may amend, change, or modify the responsibilities and duties of this position to meet business needs as necessary. This job description does not constitute a contract for employment and may be changed at the discretion of Denny's with or without notice.