Company: CREATIVE FINANCIAL STAFFING
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
Payroll & Accounts Payable Accountant is responsible and accountable for managing the processing of the bi-weekly payroll ensuring compliance with applicable federal and state payroll regulations, tax filing deadlines and customer support requirements. This position is responsible for partnering closely with internal stakeholders including Finance/Accounting, HR and most important, our employees to disseminate payroll and benefit information accurately and according to schedule.
- Fully responsible for all aspects of the payroll process and liaising with payroll provider, benefits broker and internal stakeholders.
- Ensure that systems and processes correctly compute and record time, earnings, employee benefits, special deductions, mandated benefits, taxes, garnishments and other items that affect net pay and/or company liability
- Manage the administration of payroll and benefits (Including programs such as retirement plan (403B), flexible spending, life, health, dental and disability insurances, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, workers compensation, FMLA and employee assistance.)
- Assist with the onboarding administration process including proper completion and filing of payroll and benefit information and all necessary paperwork
- Manage open enrollment process. Ensure all benefit changes are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure pension contributions are distributed in a timely manner in accordance with federal requirements
- Reconcile benefit invoices against payroll system data and processes benefit payments in accordance with federal requirements (retirement plan remittances) and vendor due dates
- Payroll audit and compliance, including quarterly taxes, garnishments, pension plan audit, unclaimed/cancelled checks, workers compensation and corporate audits
- Maintain and implement policies and standard operating procedures to ensure compliance and internal controls.
- Possess subject matter expertise of federal, state and local payroll and tax laws and the HRIS, Paycom
- Prepare journal entries for semimonthly payroll and reconcile quarterly 941's to trial balance
- Work with benefits brokers, workers compensation auditors, financial auditors and 403b auditors, as needed
- Maintain employee confidence and protect payroll operations by keeping information confidential
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications
- Professional and provide excellent customer service
Accounts Payable (60%)
- Data entry all invoices and expense reimbursements
- Maintain Professional Development records and reconcile against employee reimbursement requests
- Upload weekly check-run into Wells Fargo's Payment Manager Tool
- Ensure compliance with internal controls and Business Office policies
- Reconcile quarterly Sale Tax submissions
- Submit monthly budget reports to budget managers and prepare all adjustments requested in our accounting system, Sage 100
- Process vendor setup, maintain vendor records, verify W-9's are current and on file, process annual 1099's, ensure vendor payment preference reconciles to Wells Fargo online system
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor Degree or Equivalent in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
- 5+ years of accounting and payroll experience required; non-profit sector preferred
- 2-3 years hands on functional Payroll experience OR equivalent
- Detailed knowledge of US Federal, State and local payroll tax laws.
- Strong working knowledge of ERISA, HIPPA, FMLA, Workers' Compensation, FLSA, and ADA.
- Strong planning, organizational and time management skills, as well as attention to detail and strong analytical problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate information clearly written and oral
- Excellent knowledge of Payroll/HRIS systems
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office especially Excel and Word
- Ability and desire to work independently and as a team member with the community and other employees
- Positive, upbeat and enthusiastic