My client is looking for a highly motivated, self-starting Senior Systems Engineer to join an engineering team who are responsible for the design, development, support of their client electronic broking division, and low latency trading applications.
It is an exciting opportunity to research and experiment with current & next-generation technology such as processors (Intel, AMD, IBM Power, ARM), heterogeneous computing paradigms, high-performance computing, hardware acceleration using FPGA, GPU or other low-latency stacks.
The individual will also collaborate with application development and infrastructure teams in reviewing architecture, performance analysis and tuning, prototyping reference implementations.
The individual will be involved with project delivery and collaborate across the business and with third parties to deliver end-to-end solutions outside of Low Latency.
- Design, prototype & build low-latency trading components and integrate with existing trading platforms
- Research, design, prototype and test new libraries, new technology (hardware and software) stacks, vendor solutions, etc. in a dedicated R&D Lab
- Actively engage with application development teams in reviewing the architecture, application instrumentation & profiling, performance tuning recommendations, offering reference implementations where applicable.
- Actively collaborate with application and infrastructure groups as required by the role
- Promotion and evangelization of DevOps best practices (CI, CD, automated testing, branching strategy, decoupling, etc.)
- Delivery of other Linux automation projects outside of the Low latency project space
- In-depth knowledge in Linux OS with at least three years' experience in low-latency Linux/UNIX
- At least three years of experience in low-latency and high-performance computing (preferably in financial services)
- At least two years of experience with Kernel-bypass network technologies such as Solarflare (Open-onload, TCPDirect, ef_vi) Mellanox (VMA, RDMA verbs) and DPDK
- At least two years of experience with low-overhead instrumentation, benchmarking, profiling and performance tuning of applications, Linux Kernel using tools such as Intel Parallel studio toolset or other
- Must be passionate about technology and should stay abreast of the latest industry practices and technological innovations
- Self-starter and must have excellent problem-solving skills
- At least 5+ years' experience within a DevOps-type role
- Systems engineering, integration, and automation of mission-critical platforms
- Experience with large scale data centre deployments
- RHCSA or RHCE preferred
- Financial services experience a plus
- Design and implement disaster recovery procedures
- Deliver solutions with a sense of urgency
- The ability to communicate well with technical and non-technical people
- Advanced knowledge/experience of Linux (RHE/CentOS 6x and 7x preferred) in a large complex environment focussing on operations, systems engineering, and systems performance
- Server Management and Support: HP, SuperMicro, Dell and Cisco
- Filesystem Management and Support: EXT4, XFS, NFSv3, NFSv4, and NFSv4.x
- System tuning and performance troubleshooting
- Ability to script using Python, Ruby or bash
- Working knowledge of networking technologies such as TCP, UDP, NTP, PTP
- Familiar with configuration management tools such as Chef, Terraform, Puppet, or Ansible
- Advanced analysis, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Collaborative with good communication skills, keen to be part of a diverse global team
- Degree educated in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or similar