Research Engineer Integration and Testing - Competitive- Sheffield
Do you have an Electronic Engineering or Computer Science degree? Do you have strong software development skills in one or more common languages such as C++/ Python? If so, we have the perfect opportunity for you.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an agile team, on embedded systems development within an artificial intelligence (AI) start-up. The successful candidate will be able to communicate effectively to realise common goals, participate in projects at all stages and address customer feedback.
The key responsibilities of a Research Engineer include, but are not limited to:
- Build out of tooling / automation / devOps to support rapid testing of our autonomy system.
- Perform functional, stress, and performance tests on multiple levels within the system including hardware-in-the-loop across supported hardware platforms.
- Identify effective test strategies for new/existing features and craft test plans accordingly to support rapid prototyping and initial commercial evaluation.
- Analyse issues detected in the tests and work closely with the other research engineers to fix issues and validate software changes.
- Build test and verification into continuous integration workflows.
Opteran moves beyond today's Deep Learning AI to re-engineer 600 million years of evolution in insect brains onto a silicon chip. This breakthrough enables machines to see, sense, navigate and make autonomous decisions with a smaller, lighter and more efficient solution that operates off-network without training.
This is a different approach to autonomy, which doesn't succumb to the problems of machine learning. We reverse engineer real brains to produce autonomous systems that are robust and hyper-efficient; we call this approach 'natural intelligence'.
The key skills and qualities of a Research Engineer include:
- University Degree in Electronic Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent.
- Strong software development skills in one or more common languages such as C++ / Python.
- 3+ years of experience in software systems engineering, including hardware and software integration.
- Experience troubleshooting on both software and hardware level.
- A strong track record in collaborative project work including version control and agile / lean methodologies.
Desirable skills (but not essential)
- Experience with testing robotic or autonomous systems
- Experience in developing with embedded C from ground up OR extensive experience in similar programming environment
- GPU and FPGA programming experience
- Track record of delivering documentation for standards and certification
- Experience working with robotic or drone operating systems e.g., ROS1/2, PX4
- Proven ability to deliver projects from concept to submission with Unity and C#
If you are keen on joining this exciting, forward thinking company and taking the next step in your career, then please click the apply now button to find out more.