Position: Hospitality Business Specialist
Reports To: Director of Work Based Learning and The Business of Hospitality Program
The Hospitality Business Specialist role focuses on supporting a wide range of hospitality-focused college and career readiness programming for our partner schools, working with both students and teachers to ensure school participation while networking with the hospitality industry to provide opportunities for engagement and partnership. PAI’s hospitality areas of focus currently include: Baking, Culinary Arts, Digital Media, Graphic Arts, Accounting, Financial Services, Sports Marketing and Entertainment Management. Working in multiple schools and with PAI colleagues, the Specialist will design and implement a variety of college and career activities and strategies for use with students and teachers for in-school, after-school and summer programming. This includes facilitating curriculum such as: Master Classes, industry site visits, speakers, conferences, student chapters, scholarships, special events, trips, etc. Additionally, the Specialist will be responsible for the preparation and recruitment of students for internships and industry pipelines.
The ideal candidate for this position will be creative, a professional and confident public speaker, detail-oriented, self-motivated and action-oriented, able to plan and facilitate multiple projects simultaneously, flexible and able to adapt to unexpected situations or challenges, and a team-player whose passion and skills motivate others and supports the teachers and youth we serve.
· Identify, plan and lead implementation of college and career events and activities at partner schools, including career days, college tours, Hospitality Education Day, PSPS Interview Skills Workshops and the Annual Interview Expo.
· Function as the direct point of contact for school staff, business partners, and PAI colleagues on all large-scale in-school and out-of-school student events and activities.
· Secure business partners for Master Classes and coordinate events including space, transportation, food and materials.
· Manage event budgets, venue contracts, purchasing and coordinate with business and community partners, volunteers, and vendors.
· Collect graduation, attendance, employment, college acceptance, and certification data for annual reports.
· Deliver resume and internship preparation workshops at partner schools, and work with PAI staff and school teams to assist in collecting all necessary paperwork.
· Identify and support summer hospitality internships/programs, including supporting Friday professional development sessions.
· Identify colleges and internships that will prepare students for employment in the hospitality industry.
· Coordinate/attend/facilitate day and/or overnight conferences with students; includes identifying students and chaperones, securing hotels and transportation, and coordinating registration payments.
Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
· Bachelor’s Degree required in a related field.
· Experience working in a school-based or a college/university setting, urban public school experience preferred.
· Experience working with at-risk urban minority youth in grades 9-12 strongly recommended/preferred.
· Background in youth engagement preferred.
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple partners in various remote locations.
· Understands best practices in project management, including accurately scoping out a project, budgeting, goal-setting, evaluation, data tracking, etc.
· Understands importance of clear, timely communication and can interact with a range of audiences in a tactful and persuasive manner; strong writing and editing skills
· Ability to effectively represent PAI in a wide variety of settings, including local and national conferences, presentations, with industry partners, etc.
· Demonstrated ability to set and meet deadlines.
· Ability to quickly take ownership of established projects while advancing and building on existing goals.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint as well as familiarization with data management software such as SharePoint. Willing to learn and teach hospitality technology.
· Able to lift and transport packages, books and equipment to schools.
· Reliable transportation needed with valid driver’s license and insurance.
Hours: Normal business hours. However, evening/weekend events and overnight travel to conferences are required.
Please submit a cover letter with salary requirements, a resume and three professional references to Kriya Roundtree, Finance/HR Specialist: #removed#
NOTE: Applicants MUST submit a cover letter with salary requirements to be considered.
Please, NO phone calls and NO walk-ins.
Philadelphia Academies, Inc.: We connect students to industry, and industry to schools. Philadelphia Academies, Inc. is a non-profit whose mission is to design and implement industry informed, career-connected learning strategies for schools that position young people for success in postsecondary education and the workforce. Founded in 1969, PAI’s initial work was the creation and implementation of Career Academies, a specific model of career-connected learning that has since been put into action in over 8,000 schools nationally. While still supporting the Academy Model, PAI has recently created a more diverse portfolio of career-connected services including Work-Based Learning (WBL), Career Pathways and Pre-Apprenticeship Bridge Programs. By partnering with schools on one hand and Industry and Post-Secondary Institutions on the other, PAI seeks to support students and teachers as we envision a world where all young people have the skills, resources, and networks to reach their full potential.
Role: Hospitality Business Specialist
Apply for this job now.