Senior Project Manager / Estimator - 1
Waukesha, WI 53188
Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder.
The perfect candidate for this role would a strong Project Manager with experience in estimating large construction projects and would have strong leadership and communication skills. Our client highly prefers someone who is assertive and result oriented.
The Senior Project Manager / Estimator is responsible for accurately estimating concrete and masonry projects and managing all assigned projects at an exceptional level. Building and maintaining relationships with new and existing customers and suppliers is a key component of this position. Shows strong capability to utilize sales and negotiating strategies while managing these business relationships. The Senior Estimator/Project Manager is a decisive and energetic professional with an enthusiastic attitude, participating in the management of all day-to-day construction operations.
ESTIMATING & BID PROPOSALS: Creates a thorough, accurate and timely bid proposal for each potential job. This process includes job scope evaluation with the customer, job take-off, job estimation, and bid proposal creation. All estimates and bid proposals are efficiently and accurately estimated per current plans and specifications to maximize productivity for business operations, including inclusions and exclusions list. Reviews all estimates to ensure accuracy.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT: Drives business development with both new and existing customers, maintaining a book of business of assigned clients. Utilizes strong prospecting skills and strategizes using the proven sales process to win the sale. Builds strong customer relationships for all existing and prospective customers through regular customer contacts, visits, and ongoing communications. Serves as the main point of contact throughout the project cycle for all awarded jobs.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT: After a project is awarded, is responsible for the coordination of all assigned projects, including working closely with the customer, general contractor, and field crew. Facilitates all change orders and plan changes. Ensures all are signed off by customer prior to performing the work. Reviews terms and conditions of customer contracts.
- PURCHASING: Responsible for the buy-out of all special materials after contract or LOI is in house. Negotiates best price to ensure profitability and strong margins. This process includes negotiating with suppliers to obtain the best price and increase the profitability of the projects. Develops a great understanding of the numbers.
ESTIMATES & BID PROPOSALS
- Manages the estimating timeline and schedule, prioritizing bid board with team.
- Is proficient in our estimating system for material take-off and production for each phase of the job.
- Reviews each new job and spends sufficient time permitting careful analysis of the plans and specifications to ensure accuracy and profitability.
- Investigates conditions at the jobsite prior to bid to understand and evaluate site accessibility, surface and underground conditions, and any condition that would affect construction methods and costs.
- Manages the bid 'inclusions and exclusions' list.
- Accurately and effectively uses On-Screen Take-Off to complete a detailed take-off for each project, working with all parties to ensure accuracy of each element of the estimate. Continuously checks calculations and makes corrections, as necessary.
- Manages workload accordingly to ensure all bids are completed on time.
- Actively pursues the status of all assigned projects after they are bid.
- Along with the management team, participates in the business development of customers. Leads the business development activity for both assigned customer base and new customers. Follows the strategic sales process that includes the ability to convince the customer why Marriott is their best choice, asking for the order, and closing the sale.
- Attends business meetings and presentations with customers and general contractors, to assist with answering all technical questions.
- Exchanges business contact information, clarifying who the decision maker is, and comes away with a commitment for the next step, whether it be a call, meeting, or a closed sale.
- Builds strong relationships with customers, architects, engineers, vendors, subcontractors, and others, to solicit new and recurring work. Communicate with them regularly for job updates and new project needs. Strong business relationships will bring new business to Marriott.
- Once relationships are created with key players at all levels of the customer's organization, creates Client Relationship Plan, meeting for coffee, lunch, etc., whenever possible to maintain and continue to grow that relationship.
- Assists customers by sharing key information about upcoming bids that they may not be aware of.
- After the bidding process, immediately follows-up with all customers to find out who has been awarded the jobs. Continues to follow up on all awarded projects.
- Be the main point of contact to all existing and new assigned customers, answering questions, acting as the Lead Project Manager and liaison to all internal and external parties.
- Reviews terms and conditions of customer contracts, including payment terms, insurance requirements, risk management, scheduling, penalties, and other legal issues.
- Prices, buys, and tracks all special materials, including concrete with mix design, block with special take off, rebar (shop drawings), lintels/precast (shop drawings), Durawall (special, specialty items, stone, and anchor bolt drawings.
- Initiates and monitors RFI & change orders; estimates all change orders, including pricing and estimated production costs and labor hours. All are in writing and processes daily in the field and weekly in the office.
- A change order is necessary when additional labor, material, engineering, or trucking is requested by the customer; the scope of the project has changed; or the drawings have changed.
- Works closely with Manages subcontractors to conform to the project scope, specifications, schedule, and pricing.
- Works with accounting to set up the AIA billing breakdown and determine the monthly progress billings; makes collection calls.
- Attends external project meetings and visits the project site if required.
- Addresses final punch list items.
- Schedules jobs and runs the morning meeting, discussing job status of all projects.
- Reviews all projects with Field Superintendent and Foremen, resolving design and detail problems with owners, design agents, suppliers, and contractors.
- Material Buy-out. Responsible for purchasing and negotiating all project-specific materials and hardware at the best available price and below our estimated costs.
- Establishes relationships with vendors and subcontractors.
- Be the point of contact for the purchasing of all project specific material and hardware.
- Receives the Bill of Materials for all loose & embedded hardware and rebar from the engineering department in a timely manner.
- Prepares purchase orders, and tracks delivery status for our production and delivery needs.
- Ensures material conforms to the project spec's (galvanized, epoxy coated, etc…)
- Coordinates with Quality Control and Yard personnel for missing, damaged, or incorrect material receipts.
- After final negotiation, negotiates a 2% or better early pay discount.
- Subcontract Buy-out.
- Requests bids from multiple subcontractors.
- Negotiates with subs to get the best price and lower our estimated costs.
- Purchasing Tracking.
- Performance in this area will be based on how the estimated cost compares to the final negotiated cost for materials and subcontractors.
- Progress will be monitored by comparing actual versus estimated costs on each project.
SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENT
- Keeps safety, environment and housekeeping as #1 priority in the workplace.
- Complies with all company safety, environmental, and housekeeping policies & procedures.
- Wears all necessary personal protective equipment while outside of the office according to safety policy.
- Is aware of and complies with all safety policies and procedures on customer and vendor job sites or visits.
- Sets the standard for safety as a member of the leadership team.
- Leadership: Understands the company vision and motivates/inspires the team to follow suit. Leads by example with confidence and authority, taking charge of difficult situations. Treats others with respect and dignity, establishing good interpersonal relationships and teamwork. Embraces and initiates change. Holds others accountable.
Leads customers through our product offerings and our internal process for bidding and job completion.
Communication: Able to effectively deliver a message to employees, customers, vendors, or management team in such a way that gets them excited; Can influence the customer to pick Marriott as their supplier of choice.
Strategic Perspective: Able to develop long-term, big picture strategies to enhance competitiveness; recognize broad implications of issues; balance and integrate strategic vision with day-to-day activities. Understands and follows proven sales strategies to bring new opportunities to the business.
Commitment / Team Building: Works as a solid team player and team leader. Able to develop team effort; confront negative attitudes to build commitment and positive morale; work to build customer partnerships. Able to persevere in accomplishing tasks or objectives; commits to long hours of work; do everything possible to reach goals; have a sense of urgency about getting results.
Profitability: The ability to execute these competencies above in an instrumental way to find new opportunities that increase the profitability of the company.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (Submission Summary):
1. Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Math or related industry.
2. Experience in estimating construction, concrete and masonry projects
3. Experience in estimating and bid proposals
4. Project Management experience specifically in the construction industry.
5. Experience in purchasing and material buy out in the construction industry.
Powered by JazzHR