Company: SMITHCO MANUFACTURING
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
The Finish Laborer is responsible for assembling equipment according to blueprints and wiring diagrams by partially or completely working at bench or shop floor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Installs electrical wiring, valves, or hydraulic cylinders.
- Assembles components for trailers.
- Installs air ride suspension systems, ABS brake systems, and related industrial apparatus.
- Mounts tires and aligns suspension systems, applies decals, reflective tape, and applies touch-up paint.
- Places parts in specified relationship to each other according to knowledge of unit being assembled or following blueprints.
- Bolts, clips, screws, cements, or otherwise fastens part together.
- Operates machines, such as drill presses, air rivet guns and other air-powered tools.
- Works at different work stations as production needs require.
- Works in a bay where tasks vary as different models arrive to be assembled.
- Disassembles trailer components such as air0brake systems for maintenance and salvage of parts.
- Installs tires, aligns, and assembles suspension systems.
- Installs electrical systems according to wiring specifications.
- Drills and taps holes in specified locations for mounting of spacer pads.
- Cuts, bends, and forms hydraulic system tubing for installation.
- Connects color-coded wires.
- Solders connections and crimps connectors to wire ends.
- Tests and adjusts electrical assemblies.
- Discusses errors in diagrams or production order with supervisor or engineer to clarify assembly problems.
- Applies decals, paint and striping to meet DOT requirements and finish detail of trailer.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED), or one to three months related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and draw and interrupt bar graphs.
- Mechanically Inclined and have the ability to read a tape measure
- Knowledge with air hydraulics and suspension is preferred but not required
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Adherence to Company Polices - Follows rules and sets a good example by consistently adhering to appropriate work guidelines; follows organizational plans and guidelines so that objectives can be accomplished.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Job Knowledge - Demonstrates a basic understanding off all job knowledge skills, procedures and processes; knows resources to seek guidance for clarification as needed.
- Productivity - Manages workload efficiently to meet goals & objectives
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Continually required to stand
- Frequently required to walk
- Frequently required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl
- Occasionally required to talk or hear
- Frequently work around fumes, airborne particles, or toxic chemicals
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually very loud
- The employee must occasionally lift and /or move more than 50 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 33 pounds
- Specialized equipment, machines, or vehicles used: Forklift
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
- This is a full-time position.
- Days and hours of work are Monday through Thursday 6:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Fridays 6:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Saturdays as needed from 6:00 a.m. to noon.
Local travel may be required at times.