Clinical Trial Liaison Job Description
- The Clinical Trial Liaison (CTL) is a field based medical expert primarily responsible for increasing awareness of client clinical trial activities among potential referral sites and driving patient recruitment. The CTL implements these objectives through the fostering and maintaining of bi-directional scientific communication, engaging with external scientific and medical leaders and delivering scientific and medical information to support activities and strategy regarding development activities.
- The CTL will act as a conduit for the dissemination of current and accurate clinical, scientific and medical information between the external scientific community and the company in accordance with applicable legal, regulatory and ethical guidelines.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Field-Based Scientific/Medical (CTL) Support
- To engage potential referral sites with the objective of driving patient enrollment. This will be done through an awareness campaign focused on the trial objectives and patient criteria. The CTL will provide in-person scientific/medical data to support clinical trials in the relevant therapeutic areas within assigned geographic territories to the appropriate corresponding Health Care Providers (HCPs) and relevant clinical staff.
- To identify, regularly engage and build relationships with key trial site personnel
- To identify barriers to enrollment at the site and to work with the CRO, Sponsor, and Site to resolve through escalation of site issues to appropriate CRO and/or Sponsor contacts
- Be flexible to the demands of the role as they continuously evolve
- To execute individual strategic direction and goals based on a strategic plan supported by Medical Affairs and aligned with client company goals
- Act in accordance with applicable client values, including compliance, legal, GCP, other regulatory requirements and code of conduct (Standard Operating Procedures-SOP)
- Build, maintain and manage effective professional peer-peer relationships with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) with initial focus being on trial sites and referral sites.
- Collaborate and align with cross-functional teams such as clinical development
- Assist client Clinical Development department with company sponsored clinical trials; such as trial site identification, protocol education, as well as other requests carried out in close consultation with clinical.
- Support internal and external training needs regarding relevant scientific/medical data, disease-state education, field related experience, KOL/HCP development, therapeutic options and product training
- Assist in the coordination and development of medically relevant, non-CME continuing education programs (internal and external)
- Attend assigned medical and scientific meetings as deemed appropriate by Head of Medical Affairs to: a) maintain awareness of current issues and new data pertaining to assigned products; b) to communicate scientific information; and c) provide relevance to current and potential development activities.
- Design, develop, and deliver approved scientific presentations to individuals and groups of strategic importance to client as requested
- Input regular field activity into the customer relationship management tool (Client's Customer Relationship Management software, CRM) on a weekly basis, provide monthly report on key scientific support activities and complete project tasks in a timely manner as assigned
- Be accountable for own budget and expenses and report on them on a regular basis
- Ensure that all activities and interactions are carried out with the highest ethical and professional standards and that all work is accomplished with quality and in accordance with Client values
- Perform additional duties as requested by internal management
- Flexibility and goal-oriented personality are essential
- PRINCIPAL RELATIONSHIPS
- Accountable to Medical Affairs manager/director as assigned by Head of Medical Affairs
- Internal: working relationships with Clinical, Compliance, Legal, Commercial teams
- External: medical practices, research centers, national, regional and local external experts, key medical and academic centers, and therapeutic area disease and patient societies
- EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced degree preferred (PharmD, MD, DO, PhD, RN, NP or PA), with strong medical/clinical background
- Background in Cardiology preferred
- 1-3 years of experience in the biopharmaceutical field; MSL, CTL (or similar role) experience preferred
- If new to the pharmaceutical industry, a minimum of 3-5 years of clinical experience preferred
- Experience with clinical trials preferred
- Experience with formal presentation and interaction with global/regional level experts is highly preferred
- Experience in the area of external expert engagement and interaction, as well as working with academic centers of excellence
- Well versed in GCPs and PhRMA regulations
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Experience with formal presentations and interaction with global/regional level experts is highly preferred
- Demonstrated credibility within the medical community
- Strong skills in relationship building and networking and a strong personal initiative
- Exemplary interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong Business Acumen
- Strong independent and in groups in a collegial manner, including cross functional teams and internal/external networking
- Ability to maintain and enhance core competencies through regular reading, studying, and comprehension of scientific literature
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage several projects simultaneously
- Frequent travel is required. Ability to travel (≥70%) via air, train or car sometimes in excess of 2 hours
- Availability to attend meetings on holidays and weekends
- Ability and licensed to operate motor vehicle
- Comfortable working as part of a virtual team
- Must deal with ambiguity and thrive in an ever-changing environment
- Proficient in Microsoft and web based applications, as well as compatible devices
- Must be fluent in English. Ability to speak French is a plus.
We have lived and breathed Medical Affairs and the Medical Science Liaison (MSL) experience for over 35 years creating contract and direct hire MSL teams, hiring Medical Affairs leaders, and providing the tools to ensure their success.
Role: Clinical Trial Liaison - Cardiology
Apply for this job now.