Job title: Development Manager
Location: Potters Bar, Isle of Man
Job type: Permanent
Who we are
Canada Life looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
What we’re building
We now need a Development Manager to support the transformation and the future growth of the business within the Information Services function, so we can simplify our IT architecture by removing our legacy systems and deliver new solutions providing market-leading services for our colleagues, customers and advisers
The Development Manager is both technical and commercial focused and is responsible for all development activity within the software development life cycle.
• Visible and credible people leader of between 15 – 20 multi UK-site IT professionals. Inspires and motivates others to achieve
• Responsible for identifying and implementing the most effective delivery approach for development.
• Responsible for the management of resources in order to plan, estimate and carry out programmes of systems development work to time, budget and quality targets and in accordance with appropriate standard as defined by the Software Architect
• Responsible for managing any development activity by 3rd parties on behalf of Canada Life. Includes contract management with a high degree of commercial acumen.
• Works with Head of Software Development, QA & Automation Manager and Release & Environment Manager to create and implement a Software Delivery Strategy
• Financial ownership of the Development function, including people costs, tool sets, commercial agreements, etc.
Who you are
IT technical expertise – SDLC.
• Software Development critical experience to have is around the ability to provide Continuous Delivery of software application/product. Implicit in this is first hand know how of how to orchestrate and deliver on the following capabilities
• Version Control
• Deployment Automation
• Continuous Software Integration (across multi-site)
• Trunk Based Development
• Test Automation
• Shift left on Security
• Leverage loosely coupled architecture
• Proactive notifications and build monitoring
Non-technical requirements in the areas of:
• Strategic business acumen and understanding of business strategy
• Proven leadership skills including influencing, coaching and a delivery focussed mind-set
• Analytical skills, experience in assessing information solutions and products
• Strong stakeholder management skills. Works to understand and meet stakeholder objectives
• Positively influences key senior stakeholders
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to explain technical concepts
• Ability to prioritise and plan complex work, and respond to a changing environment
• Facilitation skills, ability to elicit pertinent information.
• Results orientated
• Strong critical thinker with problem solving aptitude
• Experience leading and collaborating cross-team to ensure successful delivery of solutions
• Collaborative approach, ability to drive consensus through discussion, presentation of facts and negotiation
• Degree level IT or technical/scientific subject.
• Technical qualifications advantageous
• Leadership qualification advantageous
What you’ll like about working here
As a Canada Life colleague, you’ll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You’ll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development.
Our focus is to have an engaged, committed and motivated work force, operating in a high performing and collaborative culture. We want to create an organisation that offers opportunities for all our people to develop their skills and talent, and build rewarding careers with us.
Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences.