Location: San Francisco, CA,
Contract: 12 to 18 months
The Staff Technical Writer position requires strong technical writing skills, attention to detail, solid interpersonal and project management skills, and a well-organized approach to quickly completing work. Importantly, this role requires curiosity to dig into the technology being described to understand not just how it works, but why it matters to the employees using it. The position is responsible for creating, editing and organizing technical information and turning it into descriptions of how the technology adds value and benefits the City. Work assignments include: staying apprised of media and technology industry trends; developing compelling story perspectives; writing creative, interesting and high-quality outcome descriptions; writing accurate, useful articles that showcase City services, technology and programs; tracking, measuring and analyzing impact of content; developing informational materials for programs; advising the internal stakeholders on best practices and strategic recommendations for future project awareness efforts. Position Responsibilities:
- Write content to describe the value and purpose of technology projects, programs, business process improvements, and new public services.
- Write how-to-guides, articles, stories, applications, on-line training, internal newsletter articles, briefing documents, process and procedure documents and process automation documentation.
- Research, design, and develop best practices for internal technical documentation sharing and communication.
- Drive effective communication and collaboration across multiple engineering teams within the DT organization.
- Develop reusable materials including: a library of project summaries, case studies, brochures, fact sheets, tip sheets, talking points, web site copy and social media content.
- Establish style guidelines in line with AP standards, recommend usability improvements, and build a content library.
- Manage technical documentation projects and coordinate publication with graphics designer, production and publisher.
- Interview internal stakeholders, functional experts and system users to develop content and coordinate publication of materials project teams.
- Assist teams with approaches to communicate benefit, value and service to readers.
- Develop compelling story angles to proactively pitch to a variety of media, from traditional print and broadcast to blogs, influencers and emerging channels.
- Monitor, track and analyze appropriate metrics to evaluate impacts and effectiveness of external communications, effectively report this analysis to key stakeholders and proactively develop strategic recommendations for adjusting future efforts based on those results.
- Manage numerous projects with tight deadlines and be a creative self-starter.
General requirements -
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public relations, journalism, English, mass communications, public administration, public policy or a related field.
- Two (2) years of professional experience in public affairs, public information, editorial, newspaper, magazine, radio, television, public relations social media, digital engagement, advertising or similar
- work involving collection and dissemination of news and information wherein the preparation or direction of informational material for mass media on the development of public information program was a major part of the position.
- Ability to translate technical concepts and terminology in terms understandable to internal and external customers including but not limited to directors, managers, system users, etc.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective team relationship with all internal and external customers.
- Ability to isolate and solve complex problems. Some problems may be a multitude of problems from different integrated systems.
- Experience in the latest versions of the software applications listed (Oracle Fusion, Oracle 19c and Microsoft Power BI)
- Ability to research and develop solutions to new requests
- A self-starter and eager to learn new tools and technologies where needed to suit client or project requirements
- Completes tasks and sets priorities without supervision
- Experienced in delivering solutions in complex environments
- Ability to multitask and juggle multiple projects often with competing requirements and resources.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and a background of successful experience in the use of such skills for manager updates, meetings, and presentations.
- Contractor s employee may be required to pass a security/background check prior to providing any services to the District.
- Contractor s employee may be required to pass a drug test.
- Must be able to pass a back a Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) background check
- provided by Dice