Company: RAYTHEON UK
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Salary: £20,000 - £29,999, £30,000 - £39,999, £40,000 - £49,999, £50,000 - £59,999
Atlantic Inertial Systems Limited, Clittaford Road, Southway, Plymouth, PL6 6DECollins Aerospace, a unit of Raytheon Technologies, is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defence industry. Created in 2018 by bringing together UTC Aerospace Systems and Rockwell Collins, Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers' toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
In the Atlantic Inertial Systems business we design and manufacture products for control, navigation and guidance for surface and air applications in the global aerospace, defence and commercial markets. Our world leading products include the innovative MEMS based inertial sensors and IMUs and the digital terrain reference navigation system, TERPROM®. Our growth plan includes development and extension of our current technologies into civil aircraft applications.
A vacancy has arisen for an Environmental Test Engineer. In this role, primary responsibilities will include:
Supporting the maintenance of our UKAS accreditation to BS EN ISO 17025 and for this will be responsible for:
- Developing and maintaining in house procedures.
- Assessing equipment calibrations and measurement uncertainties to ensure that capability in the accredited tests is maintained.
- Driving continuous improvement of capabilities, knowledge and processes within the laboratory.
- Maintaining a clean and tidy laboratory in accordance with 5S procedures.
- Maintaining and developing your skills and those of others who will provide support to the laboratory.
Enabling engineering product development and qualification by providing a range of test services to support the advancement of our technology. Responsibilities here include:
- Organising and prioritising jobs coming into the laboratory.
- Understanding and interpreting test results and data to ensure its validity.
- Producing and maintaining a good standard of laboratory test reports and, when required, more detailed reports to project teams.
- Supporting of, or direct responsibility for qualification and development tests.
- Supporting off site testing where required.
- Programming of vibration controllers in order to carry out a range of vibration testing including Random, Sine and mixed mode vibration stimuli.
- Carrying out electro/mechanical shock testing using a dynamic shaker or through traditional mechanical shock methods.
- Carrying out a range of climatics testing - Thermal cycling, Thermal shock, Humidity, Combined temperature & Humidity.
Ensuring the facility remains functional and able to provide these services by:
- Maintaining the calibration status of all equipment in the laboratory by working with the calibration team.
- Maintaining supplies of consumable items and ordering new when required.
- Carrying out first line fault finding on vibration shakers and amplifiers.
- Calibrating vibration controllers.
- Organising annual contractor maintenance of vibration systems and climatic chambers and providing support to contractor engineers when on site.
- Carrying out bare table performance checks on shaker systems pre and post annual maintenance.
The successful candidate will have experience of working within a fast paced and agile team with a range of adaptable skills, capable of readily working across a broad spectrum of Environmental testing as outline above.
The role will involve working individually as well as in a team so excellent organisational skills and the ability to communicate at all levels within the organisation is important. You will be enthusiastic and be able to provide an intelligent Environmental Engineering service to the project teams and Engineering community. The work you will undertake will vary from qualification to development testing, underpinning the principles of robust high reliability product design. This role requires attention to detail, practical skills and the ability to use your knowledge, skills and observations to support the Engineering design teams through the work you carry out.
Ideally the candidate is proficient in the use of a broad range of Environmental test facilities and has knowledge of associated standards e.g. BS EN 60068 & MIL-STD-810 as well a good understanding of the principles of vibration, shock and climatics testing. Any applicant should also have a good working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of tools: Excel, Power point and Word. A driving licence is required to support off site testing.
The candidate will ideally be educated to degree level and either chartered or working towards chartered status or demonstrate through experience the knowledge and skills required. Consideration will also be given to the right candidate who may not have all of the required skills and knowledge, but where development potential and commitment can be demonstrated for this vacancy.
In return, we offer a suite of benchmark benefits including membership of BUPA, Annual Leave Buy/Sell, Employee and Family Assistance Programme, employee discounts, and much more, all working within a culture based on positive assumptions in an exceptionally safe, clean and modern working environment.
Please note that potential candidates will be subject to Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) and background checks and that project access restrictions may apply to some nationalities.Employee Referral
Scheme Eligible Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Click on this
link to read the Policy and Terms
Role: Environmental Test Engineer
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Location: Plymouth, England, England
Apply for this job now.