JOB SUMMARY: Responsible to lead, guide, and continuously improve the CLT line. This is a high visibility and challenging position as well as an important role in the company’s growth and manufacturing strategy. Product quality, productivity, manpower, and machinery performance are among the critical metrics for this position. Core competencies include: leadership, technical ability, formalized process improvement and optimization (DMAIC, Lean, TPS or other).
DIRECT REPORTS: (Current State)
Position Leads a staff of 9+ skilled and semi-skilled manufacturing personnel in a highly automated environment.
• Leadership and guidance of daily activities of the CLT line staff.
• Development of personnel and staff to meet requirements of, and improve the operation
• Co-development and implementation of the “Autonomous maintenance program” for all equipment.
• Guide and develop change-over techniques and practices to enhance uptime.
· Perform root cause analysis on product/equipment failure and put in place countermeasures to eliminate or minimize future occurrence.
• Organization of inventory (parts, supplies, tools) and personal tools to ensure optimum efficiency of the work force.
• Lead, measure, and continuously improve CLT line performance and productivity defined as:
o Units per hour/day
o % Defective/scrap
• Maintains a safe and healthy work environment by implementing, maintaining and aligning company policies that adhere to local, state and federal environmental, health and safety regulations.
• Complies with and is an advocate of the company’s Environmental Policy and Procedures.
• Participates in projects as requested by management
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
• Deep knowledge of Toyota Production System or Lean Manufacturing
• Maintain and teach current industry best practices with respect to Lean
• Tacit knowledge and prior implementation of Visual Factory processes.
• Leads by example so as to create a challenging, empowering, and collaborative working environment.
• Good technical writing, documentation, and record keeping skills.
• Excellent analytical problem solving ability.
• Minimum 1 - 3 year(s) progressive experience in a high volume high automation manufacturing environment.
• High School Education and/or Technical Schooling
• Experience in 5S and Lean manufacturing (Toyota Production System) and formalized problem solving
• Well versed in the language of productivity metrics (OEE for example)
• Demonstrated experience in Leadership guidance of production environment.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
• Ability to demonstrate solid written and oral communication skills. (Bi-lingual English-Spanish a definite plus)
Family run for nearly 70 years, Sterling supports the construction of our nation’s energy infrastructure with turnkey site access solutions and breakthrough innovation. Based just outside of Chicago with a 60 acre campus including 500,000 sq ft of manufacturing space, Sterling was named Crain’s Chicago Business Magazine’s Fast Fifty, Chicago’s fastest growing companies in 2014 and 2015. As America’s largest CLT mat manufacturer, Sterling’ has engineered the TerraLam® mat to save customers’ time and money by being lighter, faster and longer lasting than traditional mats. Sterling also offers complete site access solutions services through Midwest Access Solutions, Sterling Access Solutions and Sterling Pipeline Solutions. Sterling is committed to developing our employees, providing best in class customer service and being responsible stewards of the environment.
Role: Manufacturing 2nd Shift Lead
Apply for this job now.