Job Posting: Property Manager
Avalon Housing is a non-profit supportive housing provider created in 1992 as a long-term solution to homelessness. Avalon owns and operates apartments at sites throughout Ann Arbor, manages rent vouchers with private landlords, and partners with both the Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti Housing Commission to provide housing alternatives for formerly homeless adults and families throughout Washtenaw County.
Avalon is looking for a talented and dedicated person with a commitment to social justice to fill the role of Property Manager, ensuring that our properties are operated and maintained in first class condition. In addition to traditional property operations, Avalon Property Managers utilize an “Enhanced Management” approach that focuses on helping at-risk tenants maintain stable housing by making referrals to support services and coordinating eviction prevention activities with service providers and tenants. Building trust, relationship with tenants, and a sense of community are important elements of Avalon’s work with tenants who have experienced homelessness and who have a disability.
Core Responsibilities include:
Tenant Selection and Lease Compliance
· Assist with tenant selection for relevant properties, including reviewing applications, showing units, unit transfers, leasing, and related documentation
· Monitor and enforce lease compliance including rent collection, notices, evictions, payment plans, and other lease addenda
· Mediate tenant disputes and problems with neighbors
· Work with funders, maintenance and tenants to facilitate the completion of property inspections and file audits requested by funders
· Route work orders through established work order tracking system;
· Meet regularly and maintain good communication with maintenance staff
Coordination with Support Services
· Work closely with services staff, tenant case managers and other service partners
· Meet regularly with services staff to review tenant issues
· Work with tenants and service providers to develop eviction prevention plans
· Visit sites regularly;
· Maintain tenant files
· Participate in 24-hour pager on-call rotation with other property management staff
· Assist with back up of responsibilities of other property management staff as needed
· Attend regular staff and department meetings
· Attend training and workshops related to work as needed and as approved by supervisor
Desired Qualifications & Experience
- Flexibility in a highly dynamic environment
- Excellent attention to detail
- Background in social work is preferred, particularly experience working with people who are homeless or have a mental or physical disability
- Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Organized with the ability to manage multiple projects/tasks and meet deadlines
- Self-motivated with ability to take initiative, as well as ability to work as part of a team
- Sense of humor and creativity
- Avalon Housing is dedicated to eliminating racial inequities. Successful candidates will demonstrate the ability to work well with multicultural communities.
A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation is required.
Job Title: Property Manager
Reports to: Director of Property Management. This position is based in Ann Arbor, MI.
Status: Full-time, hourly, non-exempt. This position is benefits eligible.
Schedule: This full-time position is 40 hours per week, with some weekend and evening flexibility required.
To apply please send a resume, cover letter, and references to #removed# or mail to:
Avalon Housing, Inc., Attn: Personnel
1327 Jones Drive, Suite 102
Ann Arbor MI 48105
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Please include the job position title in your email subject line.
Avalon Housing is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks applicants from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, as well as historically marginalized groups. This includes but is not limited to lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, people who identify as transgender or non-binary, people living with disabilities or mental health conditions, and with lived experience with homelessness or recovery from a substance use disorder. Avalon also encourages those with criminal histories to apply. Avalon doesn't request information about criminal histories unless and until an offer of employment is extended. Avalon may exclude someone based on criminal history if it determines the criminal history is related to or directly conflicts with the responsibilities of the position.
Role: Property Manager
Location: Ann Arbor,
Apply for this job now.