The Bicycle Coalition of Maine is one of the most effective bicycle and pedestrian advocacy groups in the country. Since its founding in 1992, the Bicycle Coalition has helped improve bike safety education, advocate for better bike laws, increase funding for bike trails and other biking infrastructure, support safe streets and sidewalks for all users, and open up more areas for cycling.
We seek a strong communicator, talented writer, and enthusiastic advocate to manage our external communications, website, and social media platforms. The position will also help implement strategies to enhance the Coalition’s visibility, advance our brand, and articulate clear messaging to our members, partners, state leaders, policy leaders, and others.
The Communications Coordinator will create documents and print materials including rack cards, posters, and handouts; issue blog posts, email newsletters, and press releases; and manage our social media, and website content. S(he) will coordinate communications and assist with our events, educational programs, and advocacy initiatives, including our week-long BikeMaine ride. The coordinator will be responsible for expanding and marketing our Where to Ride web resource. S(he) will organize informal member meetings, recruit and support volunteers, elicit event sponsors and vendors, and assist in our outreach activities. S(he) will work with local bike clubs, bike shops, and others to produce a calendar of cycling and walking events in Maine.
- Strong writing, oral communications, and public speaking skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with others, including volunteers
- Experience in social media, writing blog posts, and updating websites
- Confidence in working with WordPress, and familiarity with donor management databases
- Experience planning and organizing events and meetings
- Ability to write press releases, pitch stories, and cultivate relationships with the media
- Persuasive communicator with well-developed marketing and customer service skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of core programming and policy issues related to our mission
- Passion for improving cycling and walking in Maine
Our work environment is collaborative, friendly, flexible, and welcoming. Our office is located in a dynamic and fun part of Portland, but the job is statewide, so the coordinator will work in all parts of this beautiful state. If you love biking and walking like we do, we are excited to hear from you.
Role: Communications Coordinator
Apply for this job now.